What I learned.....

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from taking the glow plugs out of my truck...

I learned that Champion brand glow plugs swell..... #7 cylinder. LOL AC Bosch autolite and (of course) beru were OK,

Learned that the PO never replaced all the glow plugs. 5 different kinds in the engine. :mad:

Learned that Stress is a bad thing. GP broke in #7 (half of the stickout length. haven't got it out yet. has not fallen into the engine yet, stuck in the hole.) :mad:

Learned that my CDR may need cleaned, since #7 must have ran hot to balloon the GP.

Learned that i may be better off with a RDT than a CDR.

Realized that I have to learn the vacuum trick to get the broken GP out.

Learned that i do not own a socket big enough to get an injector out. :mad:

Learned that the only plug working in my truck was a Bosch.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size are the injectors, the big nut, I know the lines are 5/8. Gonna go buy a socket today. Are GP tips magnetic? will they stick to a magnet?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanna say 1", but you would rather check that first.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I am not sure. I had a bag of burnt out ones but I am undure of where it is right now so I can check. As soon as I find it I will try it and let you know.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K, Now I gotta make sure i have a socket to turn the crankshaft. Anybody know the size?

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!, I got it turned over to bring #7 to TDC on the compression stroke, put the vacuum on it and poked the tip down into the head:eek: It didn't come out.

I really couldn't get the vacuum nozzle in the injector hole very good at all, so I'm going to modify a transmission funnel to get down in there further and get my blow gun in the GP hole and see if i can upset it enough to come out.

So right now, I'm not totally screwed, as i did bring the cylinder to TDC so it's not in the cylinder exactly ( I think).

I just know If i tried to pass it, I would end up with lots of carnage in the oil pan, so, I'm not gonna do that at all. I'll work on pullin the head before I start it again. At least it's on the passenger side where i've already replace the exhaust manifold, so i know the bolts will come out ok and not have to burn the heads off again.

Last edited:

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, gotta question, if I do have to pull the head, and if I don't upset the head gasket, do i still have to replace it?

Say i loosen the head bolts, pull the head up 4 or 5 inches, and hold it there, have my son with small hands reach into the cylinder and pick out the tip,then gently set the head back down, will it reseal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online