What Happened Yesterday & Today

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just tried cranking the engine by jumping the fender solenoid without the ignition on. Didn't want the glows to be drawing power... Slow but I'm sure it would start if needed. So I tested all the cells again...:mad: The cells at the positive ends of each battery shows they are shot.. They test very low onspecific gravity 1175.. Almost wont float the bulb. The others show in the green and very close to the same gravity number 1275. So Its looking like the batteries are gone but still on an 85 month warranty.... I just don't recall when I bought them. It may have been 5 years ago.... Thats not worth the warranty to me... Group 31 is going to do the trick for me. The battery tray will be a jobto lower and the cables on the positive are already lug ends. I just need to installlug ends onthe negative cables. I may cut the hood undr the top sking and lower the battery trays... Anybody got a demension of the group 31 batterys.I know they are longer andtaller but thats about all I know.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
L- 13 W- 6 13/18 H- 9 7/16

Something is wrong with these demensions. Am I reading this...
length 13
Width 6 13/18??
height 9 7/16
So this is the demensions of the battery body without the studs on top included.. If so this reallhelps me with the tray fabrication.. The witdh number iswhats causing me some issues... I'm thinking you probably ment 13/16 but I need to know...:D

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what the chart showed but that must be a typo.:dunno
This is off Advances web site-13x 9 7/16x 6 13/16 Autocraft;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Update

I just had my alternater checked and its fine... Putting out 130 amps but...:mad:-cuss I paid extra on ebay for this and the seller sold it to me putting out 180 or 200 amps... Can't recall but I know it was more than a stock alternater. At least I can just look into the windings now and tell if they are enough to handle high amperage. The trick is look at the wires. If you see groups of two off the coil then its a low or 130 amp.... If you see three wires and they are larger gauge then its a high output alternater. So Now my starting issues are the batteries or the starter.... I'm leaning towards the batteries. Read back a few posts andyou will see one cell in each battery is very low compared to the other 5..... 85 month batteries shot with no more than 60 months on them... Upgrade time thats for sure... I'm not the kind of owner that buys a lifetime type warranty. I realize those are a pay it once but replace it over and over...I don't make time for that kind of warranty... Who knows when its going to crap out on you down the road....:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary, I read through this thread and am a bit confused about some things, but what does seem obvious is you have battery issues. Definitely replace them and go from there.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats what I will be doing next week Mel. I'm just trying toconvince myself its going to be the semi type group 31 battery. I know of the tray mods that will need to be made plus... I know about the cable ends mods too..... I'm thinking this is going to be the best idea but its going to be some work too. My plan is to lower and lengthen the trays to handle the new batteries. Then any truck stop on any interstate will have an easy to find replacement battery. A set of Optimas would surely be great but... How do they compare with the group 31 top lug type semi batteries for ease of operation and connectability. I kinda regret not punching out the date codes on my set of interstates in the truck now. They can't be older than 5 years. I know they are an 85 month warranty and maybe they are only 36 or 48 months into that time frame... The interstate warehouse is local to me and thats where I bought them from.I may just load them upin the Accord and see what they can do for me..... It wont hurt toask thats for sure. I take very good care of my batteries. The posts are protected with several types of corrosion stuff. I use a cleaner when I clean the terminals and a spray on protectant too. The water is kept up with distilled water too. I have only needed to add some once in the past 3 or 4 years.I just don't know how old they were or how long they were sitting at the warehouse... I know there is a code on them but I can't read it or know how to interpet it... Must have cleaned it off too well...:dunno

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
When my Federal/Deka batteries give out, I think I am going to make a tray for group 31's under the passenger floor boards.:sly A 12" piece of 3/0 wire to the starter is too good to be true. I even has the thought of building an enclosure and insulating them. Some heat tape in the winter and dual time clocks, one for the block heater, one for the batteries. The truck couldn't help but start on the coldest day:slyLOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GAry , try for some replacements, interstate used to be real goosd to deal with, there is a date code melted in to the case somewhere.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
GAry , try for some replacements, interstate used to be real goosd to deal with, there is a date code melted in to the case somewhere.

Thanks Russ. I see the melted in code but don't know how to read it. I will be taking them to interstate and see what they tell me...