What do you think I'll get??

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Call it laziness, but I'm sure someone already has done a thread on MPG on WVO. I am planning a trip in december and am wanting to get info in the mileage before I make the jump into making the setup go. (Prolly a stupid question) but I'm asking anyhow.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a complete apples-to-oranges comparison, but MAYBE it'll give you a baseline if no one has any more firm data on the IDI...but, I've run B-99 in my M-B and averaged a 2 mpg loss compared to dino diesel.

Hopefully others have better info :dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B100/B99 is a totally different beast from WVO, mainly because the glycerol stays in the WVO and that increases BTU/unit. It also increases acrolein emissions and makes the fuel thick compared to dino or biodiesel. I would suggest you'll get very close to the same fuel economy you get on diesel on the highway similarly loaded and with similar speeds. I do not know what that is since you haven't told us and no guesses either since I don't know the specifics of your rig. Personally I get 12-14 mpg on B100 around town and 15+, usually closer to 16 or better if I'm not heavy and it's all highway driving 65 or less, this is with 3.55s and no OD. Probably would be slightly better with diesel fuel and maybe somewhat better with WVO as the methanol or ethanol that replaces the glycerides in the oils don't have quite the BTUs of what they replaced.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
I do not know what that is since you haven't told us and no guesses either since I don't know the specifics of your rig.

Sorry guys, I have the typical 7.3 with a ZF-5. Normally I get around 15.8-16.2 driving back and forth to work. But it gets 16.8 hwy (around 70 mph). It seems to like when it's got a load in it, then it gets 17.5 MPG. I am planning to go from FL to TN with the family and with all the crap they want to bring the cobalt won't do the job. This is why I am thinking WVO. Someone told me that you have to cut the stuff with methanol, how true is that.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just cut it with some diesel. You use methanol when making it into bio.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Whats the difference between bio and any other? Is it necessary to run it 100% WVO or does it NEED to be cut? From what I've heard (no facts) it is possible to run it straight only after the engine has come up to temp on diesel and the oil has been given a chance to get a pre-heat before it goes to the IP. Then switch it back to diesel to clean out the IP before shutting it off

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are confusing biodiesel and WVO as many do. Both work well if you invest the time in them and have a decent system. With biodiesel your effort is on building the processor and developing a system to legally store or deal with the waste streams and wash the soaps and other impurities out and get it back to dry. With wvo your effort needs to be spent in making the VO system as separate from the diesel/biodiesel that you use for starting and stopping as practical. I like biodiesel for my kind of driving, mostly in suburbia and in town as it's a turnkey replacement for diesel fuel. If you can heat your WVO and you drive more than 30 miles or so for your commute or of course when taking a long trip like this you can definitely use 100% WVO. Try and get as clean of wvo as you possibly can, filter and dewater it as best you can. You'll have the best luck with your veggie system if your EGTs are always over 400 as below this number not even petroleum based diesel burns too well let alone bio based alternatives. Some people get away with cutting their veggie oil with diesel and some solvents and this may work fine for some in warm weather but it must be considered experimental and bound to cause aggravation when you get much below 60 or 70 outside. Biodiesel even probably needs to have some fuel additive or diesel blended in or be heated once you get below 35-40 degrees or so depending on what kind of oil it was made from and how good your process is.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
I am planning on making a aluminum bed mounted fuel cell, with a small section that has a tube that circulates the antifreeze thru it to preheat the section of the tank and not the whole thing. Then a tube within a heater hose to keep it to temp. I plan on the tank being 3' from the front of the bed deep and as big as the bed is. aprox. 250 gal. that should get me down the road for a while.