What do ya think???

RGMS4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I have oil leaking from the heads, oil pan and the front of the intake manifold. The oil pressure has been falling off for about a year.
It has plenty of power so I didn't want to pull the pistons for fear of having to bore the cyclinders.
What do yall think about this: Pull motor, replace all gaskets and new rod & main bearings???? Is this a bad idea? Should I just keep runing her till she blows? I can't have her down more than a few days.
The head gaskets and oil pres. are my main concern.

Sorry about the spellin.

thanks

Randy

suv7734

Reaction score
When you say the oil pressures been falling off how much is that and what are you using for a gauge? How often between oil changes? What grade of oil? What kind of running does the truck get, lots of short runs/city traffic or lots of highway miles? How much oil is it actually using?When you say the head gaskets are leaking where are they leaking from or can you tell? At 348K the engine is doing well and if the power is still there then the compression is probably still doing OK as well. Has the CDR valve been serviced regularly? How is the blow-by? If the CDR valve isn't functioning then the blow-by will be trying to get out wherever it can and this will be intake manfold etc. etc. With the mileage on the engine, depending on how it's driven, the compression rings can be fine but the oil control rings could be sticking and all that compression on the 'down stroke' is being pushed into the crankcase and trying to vent as blow-by. I asked a lot of questions so let us know and we can probably give you a better idea with the extra information.

Bruce

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
You can redo all that but then your already half way there u might as well just check if there in specs and if not you can always just put the old onces in with new rings tell u have time to get it boared or sleaved.

RGMS4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bruce,
I only have the stock gauge in the truck. Oil is changed between 3 &4K miles. Rotella 15-40. As far as driving about half & half. I pull the boat to the lake alot. About 65 miles hwy. I am using about 1 1/2 gallons between changes. I never knew about the CDR until last week. I have a new one in my hand as we speak. The head gaskets are leaking at the rear, both sides. I am by no means ******* it. I don't baby it either. Kinda normal I guess. I didn't get all these miles out of it with my foot on the floor, Know what I mean? I guess I may be freaking out a little becouse of all the miles. I worry about this truck like it's one of my kids.

Thanks

randy

suv7734

Reaction score
I just dropped back in for a moment but I'll drop you some more info later or tomorrow. How much of that oil you putting in it is dropping on the ground? Head gaskets leaking at the back can be a sign of a lot of things...

Bruce

aaklingler

Reaction score
Ignore the oil pressure gauge unless it goes all the way down, its an on off switch at 7psi, are you sure the valve covers aren't leaking, there known to do that?

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
By not cleaning the CDR you could have ruined ur headgasgets. The oil that gets sucked in there creates exstra BTU's and lifts them. Alnd like aaklinger said dont liesten to the stock gages if anything get a real one then tell us what type of presure it has. The ford stock gages are idot lights with a needle.

RGMS4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the thing. It's not droping oil on the ground. I put a new tranny in awhile back and there is no oil on it. I will get a closer look at the valve covers but I am almost sure it's the head gasket leaking.
Where is all the oil going?? I must be burning it. Guess I better get the new CDR in real soon.
After the new one is in, how and how often should I clean it?

Thanks

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Every second or third oil change. It also could be going down the valve steam seals. To clean the CDR just take out the 2 bolts and rinse it in gas let air dry and install

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
As said pay no attention to the stock gauge on the dash... Get a real pressure gauge and go from there.

Classic place for leaks on the heads are valve covers make sure that not your problem.

Now for the CDR. I cut mine open when I took it off for the RDT (road draft tube) and just want to warn ya to be careful of what you clean it with because the diaphram inside is thin. How the the thing works is it's basically an unrestricted path to the intake unless there is a vacuum at the intake that will cause the CDR to close then as pressure builds up in the crankcase it will force the diaphram out of the way to regulate the pressure in the crankcase. Now if your getting oil or debris out the little pin hole on the back side then it's toast (diaphram that is) and the entire CDR should be replaced.

I would clean with something that does not attack rubber like a mild solution of water and dish detergent myself. Some rubber is not friendly to fuels. What type of rubber they use in the CDR is beyond me but I tend to play on the safe side when my wallet is at stake.

Now seeing as how your asking if you should rebuild and only having a few days then I would just slap new gaskets on and see what happens - it might surprise ya... But find out if the valve covers are the source before hand.

RGMS4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I will check it out today.
I going to change the CDR today and wait to see if the oil consumption slows down.

randy

84ord

Reaction score
Hey guys

Ive been having the same problem. I would use 1/2 Gallon every 2nd fueling
except i did notice that on the driver side valve cover a leak but didnt think anything because there was no evidence on the ground. I realized that it was all being burned on the maifold.
Solved that problem!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think with 367,000 miles having had good service and you've never been into it that it has served you very well and it's time to start saving up and plan a vacation to freshen it up so it can be down for more than a couple days.

That engine has earned a new set of bearings and rings to say the least. Do it right and get another 300k+ out of it, you can always rent a pickup for a week to get you by if necessary when it's down for service.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
84ord said:
another quick question
Can you give me a breakdown on the CDR Valve?
Thanks

CDR is equivalent in a gas engine to the pcv valve. It is only there because it was a requirement for pollution control. As someone earlier stated, it is almost always an unrestricted path for blow-by to vent from the crank area directly into the intake. Many believe it has something to do with oil consumption, but it has no function whatsoever in this respect. Due to the fact that there is some oil in the blow-by, minimal amounts do condense in the thing and drip back down, but it is only a tiny amount and not measureable. It takes immense vacuum to close the valve, and there should never be that kind of vacuum in the intake of our engines, so it should remain open all the time. There is only a diaphragm and spring inside. nothing else. I ripped mine open after 300,000, and found nothing in it worth cleaning. A few drops of oil, no sludge, that is all.

..Pic one..
..pic two..

you can see it is essentially a 3/4" tube straight up through the valve from the valley pan directly into the intake.

You can replace the thing, but if you have blow-by and/or oil consumption you need to look elsewhere for the cause. Both are a sign of general engine condition, and have nothting to do with the CDR valve.

Just my .03

Zigg :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin