What brakes do you suggest?

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought NAPA drums and shoes from work (dicount). and a harware kit from o'reilys. I also got 16 lug studs.
My thought is this: If I had problems with one side's studs, I'm not going to trust the other's either.
Yes I bought 2 drums for the very same reason as Josh Bear stated.
Right side is done, tomorrow is the left side.
Even though the holes do not seem to be ovaled out, should I trust the rim of the tire that decided to jump off the truck and go rolling out on its own?

I had a rear wheel depart on me once. Lost all my lugs on the driver's side driving home from work one day. Pretty sure it was someone I was having a dispute with at the time had loosened them. I know I had torqued them with a torque wrench prior to. Thankfully I found it in the trees and no one got hurt. Anyway, threw the wheel back on with 2 lugs from each other wheel to get home. Bought all new nuts so they'd match, used same wheel. Never had an issue again. That was 2008. Ran same wheels till 2018.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I personally would avoid rock auto, seems as of late the quality has gone down.

I've always used Napa ultra premium, matter of fact that's what is currently on my truck, both drums and rotors. No issues in years.

RockAuto is just a retailer, so any parts quality is the manufacturer's fault.

I put all RockAuto sourced parts on my bug last summer and they have been fine, even the master cylinder. It's something people complain about being bad when you get one these days, regardless of the source.

TygreII

Reaction score
I ended up buying most everything from NAPA through work. I got the parts kit from O'reilys, and the lugs from Amazon. I wanted the extra all acorn nuts that were not sold in town. The parts kit was something like $60 cheaper than NAPA. He's been put together for over a month now and everything is doing fine.

BWT: I replaced all of the lug studs on both sides. Cheap insuance.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this back up. What about power stop pads and rotors?

Not sure if they make shoes or just pads.

Anyone have experience with them?

trancas

Reaction score
With the cost of everything these days, I always hit the PickYourPart yards first. I get every little piece I might need. Facebook Marketplace has been really great as well. Most times sellers on there will let you get all the extra pieces as well and you'll make some like-minded friends!

trancas

Reaction score
PS you can get a whole hub with the studs from PYP for less than the cost of 8 new studs. Bearings included. Just bring the proper tools!