Well its official i made the move, Im a WMO burner

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed one of those cheap clear inline filters and a WIX universal spin on with a 10 micron filter between the pump and IP to protect the high dollar factory filter and now that cooler weather is here I'm going to build an instant fuel heater to to put in front of my filters. As far as smoke goes, I haven't noticed much more than with diesel. Before the truck warms up it does smoke and I'm hoping that with the fuel heater that will go away.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought Alex's pollishing system was pretty slick
I think I'll see about collecting the stuff as I find it and doing something similar but as an on board system. Then add the heater we keep talking about

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I want one of those trick filter setups. I pour this crap throug rags and such. Takes FOREVER. Then I run it through a 5 micron wix into the tank. Then it goes through the normal one into the IP. I don't think the rags do a lot, but they do get out some of the big junk. I think 50/50 is a good winter mix if you can get it to pump. I have an electric pump and am going to install the original 6.9 filter prior to the fuel pump so I have it filtered 3 times. I just wish I had something that would filter 100% of it. Oil filters only get a low percentage of the stuff through the elements when pumped at speed. That is why I pump really slow:)

SWS

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at some of biofarmers posts about how he is filtering. He uses a chevy 350 oil pump driven by an electric motor. I plan to do the same thing he is. Its easy, clean, and he can recirculate the oil through the filters with ease.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya I poured mine through some shop rags as well
it did take forever but I'm hoping it took all the big stuff out and my fuel filter can catch all the little ****
I went 50/50 this first time around
as i said I'll be changing that fuel filter soon anyway

I've been trying to come up with a good filter heating system and keep thinking that a system that recirculates to a smaller reservoir fed off the main tank would heat up faster. It could overflow back to the main tank and the engine fuel pump could draw off of it instead of the main tank. Basically a canister with a heating coil in it running engine oil off the oil cooler that also has a recirculating filter system in it with maybe a few size filter mediums along the way. It could be gravity fed off the main tank.

just a few thoughts

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pump it through a 10 mic after pre filtering.

i lose power and mpg, but that may be my injectors, when the temps get below 40 i cut back to 30 percent, below 32 and i dont run it till spring.

i just use a diesel transfer pump now. but started off with ps and eng oil pumps driven by my drill and barrel pumps. started to go the centrifuge route but the cost is still past what i consider worthy as the 10 mics been gettin er done.

one thing about oil is it is way easier to get then good veg, but where i am now i have to be tricky to get trans fluid, pretty competitive up here:eek: all the wmo is contaminated with coolant/water and brake clean **** but the tranny fluid is usually straight, but the majority is getting synthetic and i always know when i have a load of that as power is waaay down. of course the turbo will fix all that. i run the diesel aid to help with the water, settle it out in 50 gal drums, transfer the good top oil to a different drum, then pump from that through the filters and add the diesel aid then.

a centrifuge would definitely make my life easier in the end though.
someday.

of course, we will all be screwed on the next price hike cause everyone will be burning this and just like veggie it just wont be around much.:dunno

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya I have been asking around these last few days and I'm surprised how difficult it is to get anyone to commit to WVO

I have several friends who have engine shops so maybe I can score a few barrels of WMO from them

I'm not really going to be burning a lot of fuel till I get my act together with the filtering and pre heating set up though cause I dont want to damage my fuel pump

I was even thinking of insulating my fuel line from the reservoir tank to the secondary filter/heater up by high pressure pump

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres lots of ways to use it year round, building a manifold that is heated is easy, even some instant heat setup running like glowplugs, staged in a coolant filled coil etc into a pretank makes it real easy. i run two 31 commercials so power to do that is a non issue.

i been running it since @ 02 or so in my psd and 05 iirc when i got my chevy van, that is the source of the 6.5 i swapped into my ranger. i also use jump tanks verse putting it in my main tank. i have to manually switch it but its ok.

i had a tough time with the wvo all around, its a pia comparatively because of the water and in some areas of detroit they were threatening business owners not to allow it off the property unless the person had the license to haul dead animals...which i was going to get but wised up and went wmo.

compared to wvo its as simple as a gas station fillup.

as a matter of fact i fill my tank right from the tank of one source the fluid is that good. but its also a long way from home

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so indulge me

explain your system to me like I was a complete idiot ( ok the secrets out )

what I've dreamed up so far I think I have laid out pretty clearly but just for grins

I have two tanks
one I'll dedicate to WVO and WMO and the other diesel
on the WVO/WMO tanks I'll set up say a one gallon reservoir with a coil in it running motor oil through it. I'll run a in line pump to recirculate the reservoir contents through a filter and then insulate another line going from the reservoir up to a secondary filter. After that I'll have a switch determining which filter/tank/feed line the engines primary fuel pump draws from to feed the engine itself

that way I can purge the system in cold weather with pure diesel and run on whatever else once the temp gauge in the reservoir says its hot enough to flow through the primary fuel pump without damaging it

sound like anything you have going
if not I"m all ears

and thanks
B

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as a home filter setup, has anyone tried using sand as a filter, perhaps in a length of pipe? I've been pondering this for my own future setup (nowhere to put it right now)

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
As far as a home filter setup, has anyone tried using sand as a filter, perhaps in a length of pipe? I've been pondering this for my own future setup (nowhere to put it right now)

you would be better off using a hard wood sawdust like oak ;)

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just have a tank i add and switch the valves manually for now. bc broncos has some good valving i am looking at. i dont have a way to make any new pics, as these are old but i blew this up a bit so you can see the tank, on top if it is the valving. just simple ball valves. i use clearish plastic fuel line so i can see if there is air and when the black is out and green is back and then switch the return.

Attachments

• pig left expanded.jpg
    pig left expanded.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 24

sassyrel

Reaction score
Take a look at some of biofarmers posts about how he is filtering. He uses a chevy 350 oil pump driven by an electric motor. I plan to do the same thing he is. Its easy, clean, and he can recirculate the oil through the filters with ease.

the only bad part of this--some filters have a relief valve inside them--so if you push it tooo fast-----------

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online