Welding oil pan in place?

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with a good water temp gauge you should be fine, with an water oil cooler the water and oil should be the same, water gets hot so does oil and vise versa. I would like to see a low coolant warning, heard stories of guys losing coolant and not know till its too late. Had some German cars, they all had low coolant sensors.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with a good water temp gauge you should be fine, with an water oil cooler the water and oil should be the same, water gets hot so does oil and vise versa. I would like to see a low coolant warning, heard stories of guys losing coolant and not know till its too late. Had some German cars, they all had low coolant sensors.

Ya that would be interesting. I imagine it wouldnt be too hard to install a probe for one either. Just welding a bung to the radiator or what?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's harder but not impossible to set up on a radiator with top and bottom tanks vs on the sides.
Some have it in the reservoir tank. Kinda useless, imo.
Look at the gm 6.2/6.5 rads. It's a one wire hookup in the rad.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the temp gauge in the rear tranny flange where a plug is. see pic. In that position you know the oil temp that's getting to the bearings. Who cares what the oil pan oil temp is, ya got all the hot oil falling back into from the Cyl. walls from the oil squirters.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I just stupid??? I'm having trouble finding where the tranny flange is. Bear with me... I'm a novice.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is the idea of a tee at the "gauge" sender location completely off the table? (shrug)

Ya I don't really wanna do that. Currently that spot has my aftermarket oil pressure gauge. For an accurate reading you need somewhere with flowing oil, in a T it's gonna get a bit stagnant in that spot.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Got a 1/4 Pipe plug in the oil cooler too....

As for s different gauge, some say coolant level. I would do a coolant pressure gauge. Sudden loss means leak.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn't a fitting on the block somewhere that's plugged? Hm.

Oh -- stock oil pressure "gauge" sender - put a tee in there, and then whatever adapter you might need for the temp gauge. Come to think of it, wouldn't that be a more meaningful place to measure oil temp, in the block rather than down in the pan?
No, all heavy duty recommendations read sump temp. It will rise if there is a failure.

On the other hand, the 6.0 has the temp sender in the cooler.
Main thing is to establish a baseline range on a healthy engine and then you will know if things are getting too hot.
Weld on oil pan, sure , drain , purge , weld.
Drill after with a magnetized drill bit with grease on it.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand they're an eighth inch off the pan floor.
The 'squished ball of clay' method will tell...