Welding oil pan in place?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all so I've gotten mixed opinions about this with everybody I've talked to. I've done this before just wondering if it's actually ok or a no go. So basically i recently finally got around to putting the rest of my gauges in. The only one not hooked up is the oil temp. I'm waiting until I'm due for an oil change and then gonna weld a bung on to the driver's side of the oil pan to screw the probe into. What I've done before is remove oil fill cap, pull vacuum on motor for fumes or whatever, then weld. Obviously I would drain all the oil first and let her drip for a couple hours to get as much out as possible. Think this is ok or no? Thanks

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone on here may know of a spot on the engine where the oil is passing by and you could retro fit the temp probe in it. We have a oil cooler and the oil filter attached to it. Fitting in there somewhere?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be a little worried about ignition of oil or vapors too. Rather than a vacuum pump, how about purging with your MIG gas (CO2/Argon mix) and filling the engine with it? It won't burn and it's heavier than air, and just a psi or two of pressure will keep all the oxygen out of the pan.

Or solder the bung on instead of welding it, if you have a big enough soldering iron that an open flame would not be necessary.

Just tossing out some ideas here ;)

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had to do it,I would have a sq or rectangle plate with NPT tap in center, mig, tig or braze to pan then drill thru NPT tapped hole into pan for probe, obviously it would be smaller, this would be stronger on the pan and easier to weld then a small round bung

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but he doesn't want to take the pan off, so the nut on the inside would be a problem. ;) I think RWK probably has the best and safest solution so far...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have welded on pans. You want to pump co2 into the engine so there is no chance of a fire. Although the chance of a fire is very remote.

Why don't you just a screw your temp sender into the oil drain plug hole?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
We have welded on pans. You want to pump co2 into the engine so there is no chance of a fire. Although the chance of a fire is very remote.

Why don't you just a screw your temp sender into the oil drain plug hole?
Wouldn't it ram into the pickup tube?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I think I'd go with a nutsert with a fiber washer under the flange to seal it before I welded on the pan in the truck.........

Is it doable relatively safely? Yes.
Is it a recommended practice? No.

Personally, I'd pull the pan, flow drill, and tap it........ But not everyone has the experience or equipment to do that........

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe with a TIG....
id be more worried about the metal shavings from drilling than crank case vapors.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isn't a fitting on the block somewhere that's plugged? Hm.

Oh -- stock oil pressure "gauge" sender - put a tee in there, and then whatever adapter you might need for the temp gauge. Come to think of it, wouldn't that be a more meaningful place to measure oil temp, in the block rather than down in the pan?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it ram into the pickup tube?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
depends on how long the sender is and where the pickup tube is. Stick a screwdriver up that hole and see if it hits anything.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly we are not able to do anything to the oil pan plug. The oil pump pickup head is about 1/4 inch off the bottom of the pan. On you guys next oil change just stick a screw driver up the drain hole. I bet you will be surprised. Maybe you might look into the return fitting that Frantz bypass oil filters sells. It looks like about the best way to return oil to a pan without welding. Please remember your oil level is not really that low in the pan either. Verify this by pulling the dip stick and hanging it down near where the stick enters the block. Be careful around the starter heavy cable because its hot or has direct double battery power to it ALL THE TIME... Same with the alternator heavy line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller

Members online