Water Pouring out of bell housing.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our idi blocks have 7 freeze plugs. Two are behind the flywheel. Two are on the passenger side and the last three are on the drivers side. They are all the same size at 1 1/2 inch concave and not the cup type normally found in any other blocks. We can machine out the holes and use the Boss 429 threaded screw in plugs.. But you need lots of machine work to remove the step the concave plug needs to set in before you hammer it in place with the special tool.ONLY the block heater hole is the straight thru hole and it accepts most cup type 1 1/2 inch freeze plugs.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget you'll have to pull the starter and bell housing adaptor.

I had that same situation happen to me. Installed engine, freeze plug popped filling rad, pulled trans fixed plugs, re filled engine with coolant, ran engine to find out it had cracked heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As a friendly suggestion it might be a good idea to pressurize the coolant system after the plugs back there are installed.I used air pressure to 35 lbs on my bare block checking for leakers. Just refill you cooling system with water.Rent or borrow a pressure tester from friends or most any fake ass auto parts chain stores. I recall those testers reach maybe 25 lbs. Our cooling systems max out at 16 lbs. I'm not sure what condition your radiator is so be cautious with pressure.

beckty85

Reaction score
radiator is brand new. Prob won't have a chance for a few weekends to finish getting the trans out. My machinist is making the tool for me. Plugs are on order, crossing my fingers they are the right ones. Will either rent or buy a cheap pressure testing tool to make sure before the trans goes back in.

I am going to more then likely have the torque converter rebuilt and take a good look at the trans. atleast to the front and rear seals on it since its out.

Ive never driven this truck so im guessing at what would be a good idea to address while everything is out, but the previous 2 owners took really good care of it.

Has anyone had any experience with the dorman plugs? asking in case these Ford ones turn out to be snake oil.

anyone know if there might be a trap door in the floorboard to facilitate removing the top two bolts in the bell housing?

thanks for everyones help.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the set will come with 8 because international treats the block heater as freeze plug?
But I am not sure because I a newbie to diesel ford trucks.
I hope every thing goes well replacing those freeze plugs. Good luck

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the set will come with 8 because international treats the block heater as freeze plug?
But I am not sure because I a newbie to diesel ford trucks.
I hope every thing goes well replacing those freeze plugs. Good luck

negative they come 7 in a pack. the block heater will take iirc a 1-1/2 cup type plug, if u wanted to get rid of it

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Im not much of a mechanic but dont forget the origin of these engines..... they ate Internationals first, Ford just put them in their rigs.
Maybe they would also be a good parts source ?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Im not much of a mechanic but dont forget the origin of these engines..... they ate Internationals first, Ford just put them in their rigs.
Maybe they would also be a good parts source ?

They are a great source. I’ve gotten stuff for my IDI and 6.0 from them. Most of the time their prices are much better than Ford. You wouldn’t believe how many parts from Ford in the blue box,once you open the box, the parts are still in the IH package.......

Just remember to IH/Navistar the engines are:

6.9 IDI = 421
7.3 IDI = 444
7.3 PSD = T444E
6.0 PSD = VT365
6.4 PSD = Maxxforce 7 (I think)

fixed it for you scott. maxxforce7, not 8

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny 57 pan

Reaction score
having a hard time finding the right replacement freeze plugs. everything ive read on here says to only use the dealer ones, ford says that part number has been discontinued.
Try Amazon they have a lot of Oem parts , I filled out the my garage , it will tell you if the part will fit your truck .

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone know if there might be a trap door in the floorboard to facilitate removing the top two bolts in the bell housing?

usually if the two top bolts are hard to get to, the body bushings are sagging. if that's the case, loosen the both from the engine compartment. one of those "gearwrenches" really comes in handy for those two.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a large plate in the floor, and you can use that to get to the bolts. It's probably easier to climb up on top of the engine and reach down to get them, but I was doing a transmission swap and had to swap the pedal assembly out. So I had the seat out, the floorboard pad rolled back, and was swapping the auto plate out for a manual trans plate. If you want to pull the seat and pull the carpet/pad back, you can get to them easily with a socket and extension.

beckty85

Reaction score
Finally got the trans on the ground yesterday. Just have to wait on my machinist to finish the install tool now. Going to replace the one in the pic then fill and pressure check, if it all pans out Ill let it sit until i get the trans back from the shop. Going to have them go through it, not even sure if it needs anything but its out so might as well. Never was able to drive this truck since buying it. Also going to see about getting the torque converter rebuilt/ buy a new one.

Any sources for a flywheel? this one looks to have been chewed up from the starter in a few spots pretty good.

You must be registered for see images attach