Water Pouring out of bell housing.

beckty85

Reaction score
Bought a 87 6.9 that needed a new water pump from my dads neighbor, just finished putting it all back together and was filling the rad up from the house to flush the system out when i hear water hitting my shop floor.

Water is pouring out of the bell housing.

Any ideas?

I have a pretty bad feeling but hoping maybe its something simple.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if anyone knows if there is a freeze plug back there. I know on the 2.9 v6 in my ranger, it had a freeze plug behind the bell, and it was seeping.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there are two freeze plugs back there. You will need to pull the tranny and clutch, if it is a manual tranny.

beckty85

Reaction score
having a hard time finding the right replacement freeze plugs. everything ive read on here says to only use the dealer ones, ford says that part number has been discontinued.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a tractor place and save the old freeze plug ask the parts guy to order one. They still work on Internationals.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We have two freeze plugs back there. Use only the factory plugs.They are stainless steel and designed for our blocks. Any after market is close but not correct. You will need the special installation tool too. Do not try installing them with a punch. Try an International dealer or ebay. Factory sets come in a pack of 7 to do a complete block.

beckty85

Reaction score
Looks like I'll start the process of dropping the trans tomorrow then. Think I found an international set on eBay. Anyone on here still renting a tool ?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

beckty85

Reaction score
those don't look right. IDI are not "cup" type freezeplugs.
i'm down to one install tool. used to have two, loaned out one without a deposit. have yet to get it back since 2013 and have forgotten who the thief is. :(
where is kali are you at?
zip code 93561

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best contact the seller before purchasing these. Tell them exactly what engine you have and see what they respond to. The sets I have purchased in the past came 7 to a package in a Motorcraft bag but.. ONLY international Made these because its their engine. Not a real Ford engine. Sadly Ford did not make a light duty Ford engine back then. also the picture tells us this is not a picture of what you are buying. As towcat posted. They look incorrect. Ours for the idi block are 1 1/4 inch concave with no lip.They are help in my expanding the centers with the special tool. The cup will cut into the lip of the block. please use a sealant on the plugs when you install them or leaks are probable. I believe they are a 400 series stainless steel and guess what. that series stainless will rust but it holds out much longer than steel.