Water Pouring out of bell housing.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RockAuto?

Or, just clean up any burrs and call it good. I've had some pretty crummy-looking starter teeth sets that worked just fine...

As far as the top 2 bellhousing bolts, I use a regular-depth 3/4 socket, an impact-grade universal, and about 2 feet of extensions.
This lets me hook up my impact to them from the rear of the transmission, and zip them in or out quickly.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's how I did my top two used bacally all the extensions I have and a Wobbly. I was tightening the bolts while laying under my transfercase had my buddy guide the socket onto the bolt. Clean threads help a lot too basically ran it in by hand and then tightened couple turns with wratchet

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That must have froze and been pushed out. As for the ring gear. Grind off any welds. Push it off. Flip it over and heat it up and put it back on.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would replace both w nee plugs myself....

I have 3 packages from Ford of the plugs because I lost 1 pack already...

Thus ordered 3 packs to replace 1 lmao

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That must have froze and been pushed out. As for the ring gear. Grind off any welds. Push it off. Flip it over and heat it up and put it back on.
nonononono
look carefully at the ring gear. one side(starter side) has a bevel in the teeth. that helps the bendix engagement. ring gears can be had still, the same with non oem turbo motor flexplates

beckty85

Reaction score
Finally got around to putting the new plug in. Ill get the pressure tester from the autoparts store today. Trans ended up needing a complete overhaul, so we beefed it up a bit too. Painted the finished product yesterday.

I dressed up the flexplate and its ready to install. Hoping by the end of the day friday to be mostly done putting it all back together.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone had been putting water in that for it to freeze and push the plug out, prepare for other issues. It gets cold there. My Dad used to live near Stallion Springs.

beckty85

Reaction score
Someone had been putting water in that for it to freeze and push the plug out, prepare for other issues. It gets cold there. My Dad used to live near Stallion Springs.
Previous owner had a water pump go bad. parked it in his super sloped driveway and took it all apart but didnt pull the drain plug at the back of the block. it sat for 2 years there with whatever it had for coolant sitting above that freeze plug.

beckty85

Reaction score
finally got around to pressure checking the system today. freeze plug held fine. the damn thermostat housing was ******* like crazy. and the water pump (brand new) was leaking out the weep hole........

beckty85

Reaction score
thermostat housing fixed, not sure what the issue was since i had just installed it. but new gasket and some hylomar and its sealed up tight. water pump is still dripping just sitting there. seems to slow down when i pressurize the system to check for leaks.

going to put that on hold while i get the rest back together. Got the trans put back in today, Hopefully finish the transfer case and drive lines tomorrow and get this thing driving so i can see where it stands. Like ive mentioned before Bought this non running and have only fired it up once when i finished the water pump install, then realized the freeze plug was blown.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your trans have any serious problems? The reason I ask, if it did you need to flush the trans cooler out in case it has any metal shavings in it. You don't want to run any debris through your freshly rebuilt trans. The trans shop should have said something about this.

beckty85

Reaction score
Trans was alive, just on the verge of a complete failure.

Finished everything today and got this beast driving. She has a nasty oil leak draining down onto starter and running backwards...any ideas, I'm leaning towards something turbo related.

Water pump quit leaking.

Fuel gauge is stuck pegged out. It slowly goes down without the key on, gotta figure that one out.

Real temp gauge is Stuck on like 120. Gotta get a new one to put in it's spot. Ran this thing forevwr trying to burp the system and I still don't think it ever got hot enough to open the thermostat.

Next step is to fix all these little issues and buy everything to go with an electronic fan setup.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Real temp gauge is Stuck on like 120. Gotta get a new one to put in it's spot. Ran this thing forevwr trying to burp the system and I still don't think it ever got hot enough to open the thermostat.
Pull the thermostat and get rid of that little ball bearing "check ball" in the upper radiator hose neck. Your bleeding problems will be over.

Next step is to fix all these little issues and buy everything to go with an electronic fan setup.
Why? Not only will it do far less than the stock fan does if it gets hot enough to lock in, but it's just that much more to fail.
And, the clutch should be keeping it from drawing much power when it's /not/ hot.
Electric fans are for toy cars, not trucks.