Valve Cover Gaskets 6.9

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After about 100 miles on the new truck, noticed some oil on the ground in the morning from off the starter. Prayed to the IDI gods that it wasn't the head gasket. Looks very much at this point like it is coming from the back lower corner of the PS valve cover. Last week when I had everything stripped off the top, I looked directly at those valve covers and said to myself "I wonder if I should change those while I have easy access". Well...let that be a lesson... listen to that little voice next time. Couple of questions, this is an 86 F250 6.9, can I get the PS cover off and leave the fuel filter alone? Looks very close clearance wise in weather or not there is room to lift it up and over. What is the best choice for gaskets? Good old FelPro or McChord neoprene? I usually use High heat RTV on the cover side only when I do them on my gassers. Open to any other words of valve cover wisdom on the 6.9. Thanks

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
For me the answer was no. I tried, but ended up having to remove the filter. Actually removed the filter head from the bracket with the filter on it. Was actually fairly painless, and it didn't take much to re-prime it after putting back together.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me the answer was no. I tried, but ended up having to remove the filter. Actually removed the filter head from the bracket with the filter on it. Was actually fairly painless, and it didn't take much to re-prime it after putting back together.

I actually had the head off as well last week as the PO had the filter so tight I ended up having to put it in the vise and get creative to remove it from the head. Was just hoping to avoid opening it all up again. This truck didn't require any bleeding or issues to restart after the return lines and cap changes so it isn't a big deal. Just hoping to avoid the extra steps.

darkbluefoxbody2

Reaction score
1/4" long extension and a wobbly with a 1/4" 13mm or 1/2" socket. Done it many a times with no issues at all. Changed all my rocker arms too without any filter removal on a 1986 F250 with 1994 OEM 7.3 turbo swap engine.
Just gotta out smart your average NUT or Bolt

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/4" long extension and a wobbly with a 1/4" 13mm or 1/2" socket. Done it many a times with no issues at all. Changed all my rocker arms too without any filter removal on a 1986 F250 with 1994 OEM 7.3 turbo swap engine.
Just gotta out smart your average NUT or Bolt

That's what I like to hear. Got all them drawers full a tools - just have to find the right ones sometimes.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer rubber to cork on the gaskets. RTV on the cover side only, let it get tacky then install. Wipe your sealing surfaces with laquere thinner before applying the gasket. Torque on the bolts is about 6 foot pounds. DO NOT Overtighten! And flip those ears over so that the wings are bent down.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I used the flepro gaskets and applied permatex ultra copper rtv on both sides of the gasket. No leaks going on 8 years now. The copper rtv is oil resistant and the temps can reach I think 700 degrees before it fails.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I removed the bracket holding the filter head leaving the filter suspended by the fuel lines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online