Valley Pan

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
my understanding is that they are a compression fit. as you torque the intake down, it compresses the areas around the intake opening. i could be wrong, but thats how i understand it
chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are able to get it off without bending it (extremely hard would be my guess) you probably could re use it

ive never been able to reuse it

matt

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea you can reuse it if (IF!) you can get it off without bending it. Its nearly impossible.

suv7734

Reaction score
As diesel4me2 said it is a compression fit. Once it is installled, unless there is a dire (readstuck inthe woods) need to re-use it, the part is one time only use.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one I took off a 6.9 and is in great shape, has gasket material made onto it and I can not find any marks of being compressed. Other than being a little dirty it looks great shape and it has no bends. I was just wondering if it would be reuseable.

Jim

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Jim,
The "book" says "NO".
If you go against "The Book", how bad will you feel if you have to replace it later, as oppoosed to how good you will feel if it works?
Its a risk versus rewards problem that only you can answer for you.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim,
The "book" says "NO".
If you go against "The Book", how bad will you feel if you have to replace it later, as oppoosed to how good you will feel if it works?
Its a risk versus rewards problem that only you can answer for you.

Michael,
I know what you are saying, it's just I have the valley pan and it looks so good, what is the worst can happen on a diesel? Sucking a little air from around the intake, now it was a gasoline engine then I would say a big NO. If I "were" to reuse it I would use a sealer BUT I doubt if I do reuse it.

Jim

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Jim,
I am facing the same decision, with the same rationale. You can go back a few months and see that discussion, if you care.
Some siad that there was some sealing of water, but you are right --there is no fuel/air mixture involved.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michael,
I know what you are saying, it's just I have the valley pan and it looks so good, what is the worst can happen on a diesel? Sucking a little air from around the intake, now it was a gasoline engine then I would say a big NO. If I "were" to reuse it I would use a sealer BUT I doubt if I do reuse it.

Jim

Well, I read your sig and it says "soon to be turboed" a used one may hold up fine N/A but I would think you would be risking loosing some boost once you have it turboed. Just my .02:dunno

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I read your sig and it says "soon to be turboed" a used one may hold up fine N/A but I would think you would be risking loosing some boost once you have it turboed. Just my .02:dunno

I know, that is why I am asking. As I am laid off right now and have to watch my money I have the time to do the turbo. I want to replace the lifters as one is making a ticking so I want to change them out before I install the turbo. I have a set of lifters out of a 2000 powerstroke that only had 10,000 miles on it before it threw a rod due to going under water while running, big hole in the block.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, Check with Barney (flatlander). I gave him a new one for free. Near as I know, he's not used it. Maybe he doesn't want it anymore, and would pass it on.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These valley pans do have a raised seal aera that compresses when you install them. I have thought about reusing a "good one" too but.... I really don't like to go back and redo my work. I do enjoy working on my truck. Its just repairing my mistakes that hurts. I say give it a try because of the position your in now. Then later on if you feel the need, replace it before the turbo addition. Use some Permatex Ultra Copper Plus on both sides of the gasket but make is just enough to cover it . You don't need it to be thick, just enough to be tacky. When I'm adding it to any gasket I put it on my thumb and first finger and spread both sides at once. One could use the pointy finger too. If this pan gasket works that great... If it doesn't you are only out the $50.00 for another gasket. Money saved is money spend on something else...LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much is a Good Nights sleep worth? A case of beer and the weekend to change out the gasket for a new one once the used one fails?

Or a New one and the same case of beer to do it right the first time?

the "Never time to do it right but always time to do it over" Mentality is far to common in my books. Time to do things one time and do it the fright way!

Install a new one and be happy.....

JM2CW