Vac pump delete ideas

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
Since Ive done the hydroboost conversion the idea has been sparked to delete the vac pump. Ideas? Still need to run the heater controls though. I have thought of adding the little electric pump from a newer truck. I dont have a 3g conversion so i dont want to draw to much on alternator.
Thanx

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres another thread discussing this a few spots down...

you can mod a mechanical duct control if you dont want to use a electric vacuum pump.
or just run the electric pump to the fan so its on when the heaters on.

:sucks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The vacuum pumps run the heater controls and the cruise control. So if you choose to leave off the vacuum pump after installing hydroboost as you have those mentioned items will need some form of vacuum to operate. I believe the 92 and up cruise controls are operated by an electrical signal and not a vacuum signal. You may want to research this. If you do not have cruise control then its not required either vacuum or electrical.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moose Truck has been vacuum free since my hydroboost conversion. All mechanical HVAC and no cruise so... it does not suck. LOL

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i ditched mine.used a shorter serp belt and installed a doorman pump to run the HVAC.
you don't need to worry about amp draw.the little buggers only run for a few seconds to build vac then turn right back off.you can switch the heater controls 3-4 more times before it has to run for another 10-15 seconds and they only draw like 2-5 amps when running.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KQF6PC

you just wire up a relay to trigger when the truck is on.it will self turn off/on as it needs vac.

on an unrelated note however;
you should consider the 3g alternator upgrade! what are you waiting for? massive improvement for so little time and $.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought. If ya don't use the engine fuel lift pump, use it as a vac pump. Whatca think?

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
Done sent the lift pump the scrapyard oldbull. F250xlthd one thing at a time lol. Cracked heads, banks kit, hydroboost. Now all the todo parts are cleared outta my shop so i guess i gotta go find more.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not hard to do. You can wire it up to only come on when the HVAC is on - tap the fan wires to run a relay.

I used a pump out of a late 80's Volvo 760 Turbo which has a built in control system. Could use the amazon one, or go junkyard hunting. There's a fair number of volvos that use a small pump similar to the Amazon one linked above for the cruise control and I'd imagine a decent number of other cars did as well. Supposidly PSDs used one too, though I don't know specs or where they are.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
A PSD vacuum pump is located on the passenger side inner fender, behind the passenger side battery and the HVAC box. It is about the size of a shoebox. It is used to operate the HVAC and the ESOF Hubs. Cruise in a PSD is all in the ECM since the PSD's are "fly by wire" and the brakes are Hydroboost from the factory........