US Gear Dual Range / Doug Nash Info

mnnathan

Reaction score
How many teeth did your gears have. The manual lists the 2 gear pitches but I don't know when they switched.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different pitch or different tooth count? There's different gear tooth sounts for underdrive & overdrive varients, but the actual gear dimeteral pitch/helix angle is the same from what I could tell.

mnnathan

Reaction score
Different pitches. From everything I have read the underdrive and overdrive have the same tooth counts but the input and output are swapped and the jack shafts are flipped. BUT as mentioned there are 2 different pitches entirely and they are not interchangeable.

In other news the later model us gear boxes can be switched to the old style control motor. Everything is available online. All you need is a 4 seasons motor and the limit switch. Both part numbers are in earlier posts.

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Great thread here. I'm late to the party but I joined the forum just for this thread.

I had a US Gear Dual Range Overdrive in my 00 F350 7.3 ZF 6 speed, from when the truck was new until about 2011. I loved that thing. The thrust bearing went out and the input and output shaft chewed each other up in 2011. Obviously by 2011 US gear parts etc was gone for the support on these things so I removed it and hoped to find another one or parts for it one day. In that time I've scrounged around for parts, and picked up a few here parts units here and there but not the 140-48048 model I needed for the ZF6.

I grabbed an old US Gear dealers listing I found online and began to call them one at a time to find parts for these. I never found a 140-48480 but i did come across a few others.

I did this was in 2012 so these "finds" may be long gone but I may be worth a try for those of us desperate enough to get one up and going again.

Tuscon Drive line 520-792-1706 "Glen" had....in again this was 2012:

170-68180 Dodge nv4500/5600 2x4
140-28080 GM 4x4 T400 and 4 speed
140-48080 Ford 4x4's
170-280080 GM 2x4 T400

Youngs Gear Alaska 907-456-6464
140-68925 Dodge 4x4 nv4500/5600 Underdrive

R&E Racing Lancaster Ca 661-948-7622 "Ed"
new units and parts, All underdrives though, I didnt get the part numbers for the units themselves, but did get the install kit numbers:

80-80181 Ford 2x4 E4OD and 4R100 F-Superduty class A and C Motorhomes w/ trans parking brake
80-80036 Ford 88-97 Auto 2x4
80-80026 Ford C6 2x4

Jerry's truck and diesel repair 513-367-2502 Ohio
140-48080 Ford ZF5/Auto 4x4 parts only

This was all I found, I called 47 vendors listed in 2012. Again these may be gone now but may be worth a try.

I found a NIB unit for mine on CL the other day by chance, So Ill be back in business shortly.

Has anyone added an oil cooler to these USG transmission's? I remember reading posts by Pat D. on various forums back in the day about how hot they ran. I'm thinking about adding a cooler to keep this one alive as long as possible.

thank you and good luck
Jeremy

16 6.7 F-250 XLT 4x4
06 6.0 F-250 XLT 4x4 auto
05 6.0 Excursion EB 4x4
00 7.3 F-350 Lariat 4x4 12 speed
95 7.3 F-Superduty XL PSD Auto Mechanics Truck
94 7.3 F-Superduty XL PSD 5 Speed 12ft Flatbed
93 7.3 F-Superduty XL IDI 5 Speed 12ft Dump bed

thedieselkid

Reaction score
Hello . I got this unit off motorhome . it's got a carbed 460. im guessing it a c6 trans. Is this unit worth anything? Im unit guessing it wont work on a zf5 or 4r100?? How do i tell if its underdrive or overdrive unit?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello . I got this unit off motorhome . it's got a carbed 460. im guessing it a c6 trans. Is this unit worth anything? Im unit guessing it wont work on a zf5 or 4r100?? How do i tell if its underdrive or overdrive unit?

what is the trans it's hooked to?

thedieselkid

Reaction score
Hey Towcat i just read
" The 4wd config mounts between the trans & t-case. The front flange on these units is essentially the same size as the standard Ford transfer case, but it is clocked ~30* and you cannot directly bolt one up to a 4wd trans due not only to the clocking, but also shaft length and the alignment pin on the rear of the trans. There was a ~3/4" thick adapter used stock which would be relatively easy to fabricate.Towcat has done this and has the drawing, but one would have to talk to him to get a copy and I understand his experience was that it was fairly expensive"

so is it true it wont bolt up??? what is this adapter you have fabricated?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Towcat i just read
" The 4wd config mounts between the trans & t-case. The front flange on these units is essentially the same size as the standard Ford transfer case, but it is clocked ~30* and you cannot directly bolt one up to a 4wd trans due not only to the clocking, but also shaft length and the alignment pin on the rear of the trans. There was a ~3/4" thick adapter used stock which would be relatively easy to fabricate.Towcat has done this and has the drawing, but one would have to talk to him to get a copy and I understand his experience was that it was fairly expensive"

so is it true it wont bolt up??? what is this adapter you have fabricated?
i'll post a pic of it later. in short....... no it is not a direct bolt-up from the transfer case to the USG. Yes, I paid a guy to reverse engineer the adapter flange and yes, there were a couple made and I paid for them accordingly. No, I am not giving them away for free or cheap. I've done alot of reverse engineering on rare IDI products over the years just so I can have spares. When deer commit suicide in front of your truck at freeway speeds, spare parts are not only cool but critical.

thedieselkid

Reaction score
I dont want to attach it to a transfer case. I have a OBS superduty with zf5. 5.13 rear axle. It screaming if i do over 55. Im was hoping it would bolt up to back of 4x4 transmission. C6 and zf5 have same output shaft spline count.that would be perfect because it has drum brake on USG unit.i can unbolt the one off the zf5 with 6 bolt pattern.but if its an underdrive its no use to me.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont want to attach it to a transfer case. I have a OBS superduty with zf5. 5.13 rear axle. It screaming if i do over 55. Im was hoping it would bolt up to back of 4x4 transmission. C6 and zf5 have same output shaft spline count.that would be perfect because it has drum brake on USG unit.i can unbolt the one off the zf5 with 6 bolt pattern.but if its an underdrive its no use to me.
when I was running my carrier, my parking brake was bolted to the butt of the USG :D
this one might work for you.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the adapter ring

thedieselkid

Reaction score
that's a nice adapter. ehhh que.... quantas es?? well i worked on it today. it's a underdrive .why would someone want an underdrive?? maybe a dump truck or someone pulling heavy loads with trailer??? underdrive isnt going to save fuel??

WELL I got the harness with a black box but the switch thing was missing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online