Upgrades at 300k?

Expunge

Reaction score
Hey all,

Last year I purchased a 92 F250 IDI w/ ATS Turbo 5 speed manual its been really great to me and would like to keep it running for another 100 to 200k. Besides the normal wear and tear I've noticed my clutch/tranny starting to give out. What suggestions for replacement can you guys make? I do a decent amount of light hauling and mountain driving.

Also, what are other common things on these trucks that should be replaced or serviced at this high mileage?

Thanks for the help!

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the trans grinding? Making any odd noises?

If no, LUK single mass clutch/flywheel conversion and fresh fluid in the trans. Could have the injectors pop tested/cleaned... just keeping general maintenance up is about it for longevity. If you are looking for more power, thats a different story.

Expunge

Reaction score
Yeah the trans has made a rattling noise since I bought it. Was told that's normal with these trans (dont know if thats true or not) As for the clutch when I disengage to shift it makes a loud pop sound. Also, barley have to push my clutch pedal to disengage.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may still have the dual mass flywheel which has failed or is failing. I would replace the clutch and change the fluid. If you have the coin, you could have the trans rebuilt.. but if its not grinding and the fluid isnt full of metal, I wouldnt worry about it yet.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if it has a single mass flywheel the transmission will growl at anything below 1000 RPMs

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LUK.

You can buy the flywheel and clutch kit separately on rockauto.com and save about $40 over buying it as a kit. It still comes with all of the hardware as well. Dont forget to look up the 5% discount codes.

Expunge

Reaction score
The tranny noise is low rpm below 15 and anything above 2k its a constant rattle like change in a small dryer.

Thanks I look for the codes and order one.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably original flywheel falling apart. Drain the fluid and see how nasty/shiny it is.

Good luck!

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could still be a dual mass flywheel failure. Mine, which is a PSD but still a ZF5, had three of the six springs broken, with half of one gone completely (a quarter of which fell out when I opened the inspection cover).

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
300k is OK! But some items are getting a bit long in the tooth. Last year I purchased a 1992 F250 N/A with 300k and it ran fine but there were some things that needed fixin'. I would check on the condition of glowplugs and glowplug harness. My harness was in a bad way so I made another one. The PO of my truck had used the danged Autolite plugs which are known to be bad news--but if you soak 'em in Kroil or like product it will help removal a lot. I replaced 'em with motorcraft plugs. My CDR valve was bad, both my oil pressure and temperature sensor failed by 308k(cheap fixes), just broke a rear leaf spring recently(but I do overload it), one of the welds in my seat bracket failed(but I do overload it:) All in all not bad for an old that truck that still gets worked hard.