Up pipe??

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone... I have a noticeable exhuast leak on the passenger side of the truck. I can't really tell if it's the up pipe of the exhaust header where it bolts to the motor. I had my turbo out of the truck last winter and over this summer the leak is definately getting worse it seems.... where are some common leak areas on the passenger side and what are some possible fixes? Also does or has anyone ever made a bigger crossover pipe? Thanks for the help.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the common leak point is the casting of the up pipe slip fit.
new castings are available from @typ4
makes a huge difference.

the cross over and manifolds have a taper to them, and shouldnt leak.

get under there with a flashlight... soot is the tell tale.

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-4 thanks for the input.... I have got underneath it and looked but have been fighting the dreaded valve cover leak so it has been hard to see between the oil streams... got the valve covers fixed though... I'm thinking it is the casting or a cracked exhuast header but I didn't have any leaking on that side before I pulled the turbo.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Pulling the turbo could have rocked the up pipe a little loose.

I just pulled my turbo, and I was worried that all the movement would cause the up pipe to leak, but thankfully still snug as a bug.

Also I went with the WWII, just FYI to follow up on that PM I sent awhile back lol

Runningaford

Reaction score
with a cold engine, get a spray bottle of soapy water, start the rig, crawl under, and spray all joints. With it cold, it won't evaporate away immediately, and with the soapy water you'll definitely see the air bubbles coming out of the spots that are leaking.

I tried looking for soot, and didn't see any, then tried the soapy water bottle, and found three in under 10 squirts.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixing exhaust leaks before the turbo can make a huge performance difference. Spray bottle sounds like a good idea.