Underbody Toolboxes

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
So im going to building a flatbed for my truck. I keep seeing these "Buyers" brand tool boxes... Are they any good? How do they compare to DeeZee or any other brands for that matter?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a bunch at work and they are ok the door latch don't hold up to well on the ones on my truck I think I've replaced the latches 2 times this year but we do beat them pretty good on our haul roads and they usually have a good 150 to 200 pounds of crap crammed in the all and all I would put the on my flat bed because I know my trucks don't see the air time the work trucks do

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Is there a name on the latch? I spent some time working for Reading Truck Body and they liked to use Eberhard latches. I can handle cheap latches...as they can be replaced with better ones as time goes on. How are they for the doors sealing? Water getting in? Rust?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
buyers stuff is decent. they make a lot of plow equipment and stuff like that. the latches are probably whatever they can get their hands on im guessing. if they wont be seeing salt then the finish will hold up much longer.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a name on the latch? I spent some time working for Reading Truck Body and they liked to use Eberhard latches. I can handle cheap latches...as they can be replaced with better ones as time goes on. How are they for the doors sealing? Water getting in? Rust?

Monday I'll look and see if I can get a name off the latch and the doors seal pretty good as long as you keep the gasket clean the box I keep my airguns in I'm pretty picky and that one I keep the gasket clean the chain box leaks like he'll be ause noone ever keeps the gasket clean that's my opinion and as far as rust they hold up pretty good none that I can see sofar except the chain box it's got a bit of surface rust from the chains chipping the paint

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll try to remember to look at the ones on our smaller truck at work. I think they are Rigby brand but whatever they are you should avoid them. Really rusty after only 1 year and they don't seal worth beans.

Skagit Scrounger

Reaction score
Hi-

I was the truck box guy at a farm supply store. I also have a 1991 F Super Duty that has under flatbed boxes on it. The store carried a few different brands and I consistently saw DeeZee and Delta boxes brought back due to faulty latches and guys had tools they needed for work stuck in them. I've seen their thinner gauge metals and ugly welds break too.

I never saw any of the Weatherguard brand manual twist mechanism boxes ever have a failure of any kind---welds, latches, hinges, etc. When I bought my 91 I was happy to see it had those. I saw a couple of abuse-related failures on their spring loaded push button style latch on some Weatherguard cross bed boxes, but not any in normal service.

The other brand that never came back was Protech. They're usually aluminum rather than steel like the Weatherguards. Protech us a good company and they had excellent customer service when I would call in specs for custom boxes. Therir non custom boxes really are well made and quality.

If I were buying I'd be comfortable with either brand but probably lean toward Weatherguards due to lower price than Protech. The steel is also an easier repair for a hobby skilled welder like myself.

Doc Niver

Reaction score
Stay away from the tractor supply boxes the sticker last 10 times longer than the paint and they leak like a siv. and the hatch system had to be replaced 2 months in.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
@freebird01 I couldn't find a name on the latch all it had was a China stamp

thanks... doesnt surprise me...hopefully they share the same hole pattern as a good name...would make it easier to replace with better later on.

Hi-

I was the truck box guy at a farm supply store. I also have a 1991 F Super Duty that has under flatbed boxes on it. The store carried a few different brands and I consistently saw DeeZee and Delta boxes brought back due to faulty latches and guys had tools they needed for work stuck in them. I've seen their thinner gauge metals and ugly welds break too.

I never saw any of the Weatherguard brand manual twist mechanism boxes ever have a failure of any kind---welds, latches, hinges, etc. When I bought my 91 I was happy to see it had those. I saw a couple of abuse-related failures on their spring loaded push button style latch on some Weatherguard cross bed boxes, but not any in normal service.

The other brand that never came back was Protech. They're usually aluminum rather than steel like the Weatherguards. Protech us a good company and they had excellent customer service when I would call in specs for custom boxes. Therir non custom boxes really are well made and quality.

If I were buying I'd be comfortable with either brand but probably lean toward Weatherguards due to lower price than Protech. The steel is also an easier repair for a hobby skilled welder like myself.

ill probably end up with the buyers brand due to cost. Weatherguard makes some nice boxes but they are pretty pricey... Protech didnt have much of a selection in underbody boxes.

the way i have my flatbed designed i want to use 18x18x30's in the front and 18x18x24's behinid the wheels. then i will make a filler panel to look like a wheel well and to hold my filler necks.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks... doesnt surprise me...hopefully they share the same hole pattern as a good name...would make it easier to replace with better later on.

ill probably end up with the buyers brand due to cost. Weatherguard makes some nice boxes but they are pretty pricey... Protech didnt have much of a selection in underbody boxes.

the way i have my flatbed designed i want to use 18x18x30's in the front and 18x18x24's behinid the wheels. then i will make a filler panel to look like a wheel well and to hold my filler necks.

I'd do a bit of planning to allow for good flow to the tank

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online