Ultimate Road Test

TorchMadness

Reaction score
As y'all know I recently purchased my 89' F250 IDI. A week after purchase of this $1600 dollar gem, my Reserves unit tells me "Hey, you have to drive to Virgina on Friday for Boat Operator School." So I said no problem and took the trip as a challenge. Could the Ole Beast make it 800 miles with no problems...? Well I flushed the coolant knowing the Virginia weather would drop to freezing temperatures and wanted to be sure not to freeze up. I made it all the way with ZERO problems. Then two days later when it was 18 degrees the return line from the transmission cooler was frozen and popped off and did the honors of draining 5 quarts of fluid for me haha. Now the line is back in the proper spot and tightened up and she's running good! I have to say I am quite impressed with the truck durability of such a long haul and only 10 days total of me trying to get her road ready. Thanks to everyone who helped along the way!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Doubt the return line froze, if you're talking about the actual Transmission Fluid line.
Cold oil/fluid is thicker. Which in turn can sort of create higher pressure, forcing the hose off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

TorchMadness

Reaction score
Whichever line goes from the aftermarket cooler to the transmission that would pop off and empty it out. New to working on a diesel and this bad boy has a lot of different stuff under the hood. That was just what it looked like to me. Whatever it is I fixed it lol all that matters to me!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The trans lines are this.. The front of the trans is the hot out of the converter. Way back at the rear of the trans is the return. That supplies cooler oil to bearinga and the pan. That line at the trans also has a chack valve in it. Do not take it out. Reason we have one is the fluid stays in the converter because of it. Without this the converter drains down every time you shut down the engine. It takes a few seconds to about a minute to refill it too.

TorchMadness

Reaction score
The trans lines are this.. The front of the trans is the hot out of the converter. Way back at the rear of the trans is the return. That supplies cooler oil to bearinga and the pan. That line at the trans also has a chack valve in it. Do not take it out. Reason we have one is the fluid stays in the converter because of it. Without this the converter drains down every time you shut down the engine. It takes a few seconds to about a minute to refill it too.

Now that makes a lot more sense and is good stuff to know thanks buddy!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh I wasn't saying you were wrong. Lol just that it wouldn't "freeze."
I'm guessing it was just a rubber hose slid onto a steel line with a hose clamp?

TorchMadness

Reaction score
Oh I wasn't saying you were wrong. Lol just that it wouldn't "freeze."
I'm guessing it was just a rubber hose slid onto a steel line with a hose clamp?

Exactly Jasper! I'm just happy that so far everything has been quick fixes.