U-Turns/Turning radius!!!

94F350Fred

Reaction score
Many of you are thinking “how dare I use those words…” For those of you that just broke into a cold sweat from simply reading the subject line you are not alone. I cringe at the thought of or the mere mention of...U-TURN!

I suppose that it comes to no surprise to anyone on here that our trucks have a very VERY limited turning radius. To me U-Turns are for foreigners :)

I have driven newer model trucks and noticed the considerable improvement in the turning radius. A 2008 F250 crew cab short bed has no problems tackling U-Turns that both my 94’s (F350 and F150) would simply embarrass me at!

With that said has anyone attempted to improve the turning radius of their truck? Would installing components from newer generation trucks be a solution (not a 2008 for cost reasons but 98/99 maybe)? And what would those components be? Is it feasible?

Would be great to get some of your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 99 is just like your 4X4 s for turning. To do a U-turn on a normal street you must back up , or blow the rear around. The new trucks with the coil springs in front have a tighter turning radius.

99 XLT 4X4 F-350 SRW Extended cab.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
'05 is when they switched in coil's up front on the Dana 60 to make 'er turn tighter, but a crew long box still takes 40 acres to turn the rig around.

Adrianspeeder

Attachments

• 40600012.JPG
    40600012.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In my crewcab with a 168 inch wheel base I start planning my U turns yesterday so I can make them today....:eek:LOL A crewcab really needs lots of street to make a U turn easily... they just don't happen very often...

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new trucks turn sharper because that was a main design criteria. If nobody ever complained about the terrible turning radius, the never would have designed them to turn tighter. Adding this attribute to our older trucks would be difficult without spending plenty of time or money (maybe both :D). One thing I feel could be addressed is the SLOW steering in the crew cabs. Getting the truck to change lanes requires WAY too much steering input. A faster ratio box or longer pitman arm would be a great thing in a crewcab.
Travis..

gandalf

Reaction score
My '86 4x4 extended cab had a turning radius like a battleship. If I was careful I would end up three lanes to the left on a u-turn. If I wasn't careful I'd end up on somebody's front lawn.:eek:

I'm not sure I've even attempted a u-turn in the '92 Crew Cab.

This is one of the best and most appropriate applications of "The Principle of the 7 P's".

Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance.;Sweet

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Another reason I went with a 2wd. Coils up front and I can make a u turn with a crewcab. At the light, I crank the wheel all the way left, then when it turns green I can turn and keep my rear wheels snug to the median all the way around the turn. My '90 4x4 won't even be at 90 degrees before I'm at the opposing curb tho. It's a Huge difference between 2wd and 4wd.

Last edited:

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U-turn?? What's that? I'm not making many U-turns with a 14'+ flatbed.:rolleyes: Me trying to make a U-turn is called a road block!LOL

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think a crew-cab 4x4 has a bad turning radius?

Try a 10-pax stretch limo :shocked: :rotflmao

On 4x4 trucks, there's a stop on the knuckle, behind the axleshaft and on the lower part, not too far from the key that holds the brake caliper in place. I've never tried this, but supposedly, you can tighten this stop up (it's a hex head) and thus increase your turning radius...however, if you do this and try to turn too tightly while the front axle's engaged (either through the transfer case and/or the hubs), the wheel U-joints will bind...so you'd need to be VERY careful to only turn super-tight while in 2 wheel drive.

Beyond that, I'm pretty sure that the only possible options would be to somehow shorten the wheelbase, convert to 2 wheel drive, or somehow convert to the GM-style front axle with the center differential and CV joint axles (which, by that point, you may as well be a 2 wheel drive :puke: )...I don't see ANY of those options as being cheap, and particularly the last one would be impossible without a LOT of fabrication work.

tech51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OBSWIZ on PSN sales a kit to in stall 05 and up 4x4 axles on the 92-96,97 trucks. And heard a guy installed some on a 86 truck. Just fab and weld, fab and weld.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks aren't THAT horrible, you want bad, go drive a GM... My 96 ex cab long bed has a much better turning radius than my work truck, an 08 ex cab short bed 2500HD...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my CC is the shorter of my large trucks.
if you plan ahead to go around the block rather than attempting a U-turn....life is more tolerable.

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a sharper turn in a 4x4 then how about a trick the off road guys use. A twin stick NP205 transfercase and independent rear e-brakes. Just lock up the rear tire on the side you want to turn towards, shift the rear wheels into neutral and engage the front wheels. Pivot around the locked up rear wheel and presto sharper turn.:D Nothing to it.LOL:D

94F350Fred

Reaction score
On 4x4 trucks, there's a stop on the knuckle, behind the axleshaft and on the lower part, not too far from the key that holds the brake caliper in place. I've never tried this, but supposedly, you can tighten this stop up (it's a hex head) and thus increase your turning radius...however, if you do this and try to turn too tightly while the front axle's engaged (either through the transfer case and/or the hubs), the wheel U-joints will bind...so you'd need to be VERY careful to only turn super-tight while in 2 wheel drive.

Beyond that, I'm pretty sure that the only possible options would be to somehow shorten the wheelbase, convert to 2 wheel drive, or somehow convert to the GM-style front axle with the center differential and CV joint axles (which, by that point, you may as well be a 2 wheel drive :puke: )...I don't see ANY of those options as being cheap, and particularly the last one would be impossible without a LOT of fabrication work.

I like the idea of tightening up the stop knockle seems to be the easiest. I may try this option just need to make sure not to turn to tight when in 4x4. Converting to 2 wheel drive or shortening the wheel base are not options for me but I can see how they do work for increasing the turning radius. This is great info thanks.

OBSWIZ on PSN sales a kit to in stall 05 and up 4x4 axles on the 92-96,97 trucks. And heard a guy installed some on a 86 truck. Just fab and weld, fab and weld.

This is also something to look into and I will search to see if someone has installed it. Would be great to hear what they have to say.

Thanks for all the comments made... I knew that I'm not alone with my hate for u-turns!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828