U-joint fastener torque spec?

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally getting around to doing my u-joints on my truck today, last time I did them I made a big mistake haha. I tightened the u-joint fastener SO TIGHT that the needle bearings couldn’t move or rotate on the cross and they just vibrated from the road ride, working their way into the cross and eventually destroying the U-Joint.

I bought 4 new spicer joints with grease zerks and all new fasteners. What is the torque spec on these fasteners? I’m a big fan of just doing a job once and being done with it. I know if I put these U-joints in correctly and grease them periodically, they will last forever! This is what the fasteners look like on my truck

You must be registered for see images attach

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I would reference a basic bolt-size/thread-torque chart and follow that. If it seems low to you, add medium loctite for good measure.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can barely get a regular wrench in there to tighten them. I snug them down using a regular little short wrench, 7/16 or 10mm, whatever it is. It's important to tighten those u-bolts evenly going back and forth. If you are afraid they will come loose, put a little dab of blue loctite on the threads before you install the nuts.

I have done the same as you before, and tightened them too tight. It's easy to do.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, erm, those caps should be perfectly tight. The caps themselves should not move - only the needles and cross inside should rotate.
If things are jamming when you clamp down the u-bolts, you should clean out the yoke, so the u-joint caps fit nicely in their "cradles".
My guess is that a chunk of rust or grease was holding the cap at a slight angle and jamming it that way.

I always tighten up the U-bolts as much as I can with a wrench(which kind of limits max torque); never had a problem there. I have had problems from them coming loose, which is why I get them nice and tight.

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, I appreciate it. within the last few days of driving Iv been hearing my front wheel bearings making some terrible noises. I know I need to replace them and possibly the ball joints as well, is there any other parts of these TTBs that go out a lot? I recently redid the tie-rods also. Also any recommended brands for parts is always appreciated. :Thumbs Up

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my tie rod ends and know my radius arm bushings are shot, need to do them but tall jack stands are tied up. Not 100% on wear rate but radius arm bushings were right behind tie rod ends on my truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my tie rod ends and know my radius arm bushings are shot, need to do them but tall jack stands are tied up. Not 100% on wear rate but radius arm bushings were right behind tie rod ends on my truck

F250's and 350's with the TTB frontend do not have radius arms. Another common wear point are the front spring shackle bushings, the ones you can't see up in the frame.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F250's and 350's with the TTB frontend do not have radius arms. Another common wear point are the front spring shackle bushings, the ones you can't see up in the frame.
2wd’s do, is the op’s truck 4x4?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd’s do, is the op’s truck 4x4?

Good point. I guess what I saw was "TTB" in his post, which is what the 4x4 version is called. Looks like he does have 4x4.