U Joint Size? At Part Store Waiting!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ujoints are all over the map on these trucks. I think I had to use a mixed sizer on my 44hd ttb, but maybe I'm misremembering now. The needle bearings were dust in a few of mine! Good save

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With how loose those new u-joints are in your yoke, I’m thinking the old bad u-joints wallowed out the holes. A new 1356 slip yoke is only $50-60, and if I were you that’s what I’d do. Does the driveshaft joint have play when it’s all assembled? If they’re rattling around those new u-joints probably won’t last long.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been years since I replaced U-joints on my 1993 but it was necessary for me to take the old U-joint and a caliper to the auto parts counter and hope the counter man is patient because the books show several possibilities and there's a lot of difference between the choices in size. Once installed there shouldn't be any play whatsoever.

Black dawg

Reaction score
There really arent that many options for u joints on these trucks, the parts stores just really confuse this issue.....

There is some weirdness 87-88 or so front driveshaft cv end koyo stuff but the rest is pretty straight forward and the differences can be seen when comparing pretty easily.

Everybody has learned that regular parts store glow plugs are garbage....................the u joints are FAR worse.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With how loose those new u-joints are in your yoke, I’m thinking the old bad u-joints wallowed out the holes. A new 1356 slip yoke is only $50-60, and if I were you that’s what I’d do. Does the driveshaft joint have play when it’s all assembled? If they’re rattling around those new u-joints probably won’t last long.
I believe your right. This is 1.188 x 1.188 u joints. They were only loose in that transfer case shaft. I'll probably order another one to keep on hand.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online