turning up the fuel in a n\a engine

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does adding more fuel =more power if you dont have a turbo? or does it just make stupid amounts of smoke with no power gain?

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't answer the power aspect of your question, though its something I would like to know as well. I can say though that you do not want to even touch the fuel screw unless you have a pyrometer installed.

That's something I need to get around doing as well, then maybe I can turn my fuel up.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are lots of guys here that know much more about this than I do but I will go ahead and suggest that:

- I would think the IP would be calibrated to flow the maximum burnable fuel at WOT - and this is based on the expected air flow through the engine. The throttle is a proportional control from near no-flow (idle) to maximum. turning it up will just change the slope of idle to WOT. This means you would need less pedal to flow the same fuel before you turned it up.

- unless you are making a significant change to the air flow (such as better intake, better exhaust, add a turbo) then turning up fuel won't make much difference.

- the 'turning up the fuel' will basically equate to pushing harder on the go pedal. There are probably other calibrations that could make your 'turning up' more efficient but, really (in this context), what is the difference between turning it up and taping a thin block to the go pedal (unless at WOT)?

- your truck will probably show black at WOT under load. This means you have saturated the available air so turning it up will only produce more soot.

This is my mental picture. cookoo We will see what others think!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Turning up the fuel will increase hp and sometimes the amount of smoke too. Doing a turn up without a pyro is asking for trouble. Its best to actuallly see the temps before and after a turn up. If you knew the hottest temps reached now before a turn up was 1100 degrees.. Would you turn it up.:sly:angel: The last thing anyone here wants to read is you tuned it up and melted a piston because you had no pyro.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It controls how much fuel you can deliver. Can you burn more fuel? If the answer is yes, it will make more power. If you are at any notable altitude, the answer is no. You can't burn it. All you can do it turn it into smoke. That's why we use turbos, to provide more air so's we can burn more fuel. The bump in compression is a nice part of that, though

Black dawg

Reaction score
It really depends where the fuel is at now. I have had some that were 100% smoke free, and didnt run bad, but could use some more. One na truck I had I was able to turn up 3 flats with accepatable smoke and egt.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It really depends where the fuel is at now. I have had some that were 100% smoke free, and didnt run bad, but could use some more. One na truck I had I was able to turn up 3 flats with accepatable smoke and egt.

The key word in this statement is the owner knew what the temps were. Turning up the fuel with no pyro is like driving cross country with no speedo or fuel gauge.. Its a crapfest guessing whats going on.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A pyrometer is mandatory. Yes, you can get a little more power out of an NA by turning up the fuel, but there will be a lot of heat along with it. Remember, black smoke is not wasted fuel, it is underused fuel. But still used some. That translates into a little more power. A free flowing intake and exhaust will help make it optimal.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a local shop make my exhaust 3inch with a flowmaster so it should be free flowing enough. i live at 3100ft and often go up to 6000+

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a local shop make my exhaust 3inch with a flowmaster so it should be free flowing enough. i live at 3100ft and often go up to 6000+

You're already starving your engine for oxygen. Now you want to feed it more fuel. You might be able to make a little more power, but mostly you're going to make smoke. At 3,000 feet you're already down 10% on oxygen. And at 6,000 feet, your truck is missing a full fifth of its air! If you want to make more power, especially at or above 6,000 feet, you really want a turbocharger.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i knew that air was thinner at elevation. never knew it was that big of a difference.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4x4 is turned up 3 flats and is WORN OUT. smokes like crazy but doesn't run any better. My 2wd is nice and tights, only slight black at higher elevations and runs awesome.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4x4 was my first idi, (when i was a Little dumber) i turned that fuel screw until I stripped the top and it wounds turn anymore. Smoked like hell. Still ran like a ****.

Put on a good show at the truck pulls.