Turbo

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've decided I'll put a turbo on my 7.3 idi
If I find like a 93-94 idi turbo will that fit my truck?
Also what would I need to do to not blow my motor when I do put a turbo? Do I need head studs?
Intercooler? What do I meed

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be very good insurance to just go ahead and put new head gaskets and ARP head studs before things go south. A added turbo will increase the likeliness of the head gaskets failing, due to increased power that the turbo will provide (more air=more fuel needed=bigger boom=potential head gasket failure with stock head gaskets!). The engine will handle the added power just fine, but the stock gaskets are not the best. Over time, the head bolts may stretch and weaken the gasket. If you were going to install new head gaskets, you could get away with reusing the head bolts, since they are bigger in size than the 6.9 bolts. Stretched head bolts...in most cases...won't stretch much more and can safely be reused. But ARP headstuds is extra insurance! Again, just giving my thoughts to you.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
A few people have used these: Auber Instruments. I don't have one yet but I've seen bj58's EGT from them, it looks great and has a nice, fast refresh rate. They come in several colors, too.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock ats 093 turbo with the 3" inch upgraded down pipe elbo. PM me if your interested

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Www.egauges.com is where I get all mine.
No need to worry if the engine is in good shape now. I put a turbo on my 86 with over 200000 on the clock. All stock motor.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few people have used these: Auber Instruments. I don't have one yet but I've seen bj58's EGT from them, it looks great and has a nice, fast refresh rate. They come in several colors, too.

I Use auber instruments in beer brewing applications... I can tell you the customer service is GREAT and the products are also good

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I found a kit on a truck in a field
Everything is there except the turbo is broke
I'm pulling all the exhaust and down pipes and everything plus the air box
Plus I can have his dash (only tan one I can find)
150$ and I can take it all so fist chance I get I'm going un bolt what I need
Is there anything extra I might need?
Also if anyone is interested it has a brand new tranny with less than 800 miles and a good rear end, tool box, running boards, VERY clean interior. Anyone interested plz let me know and I'll get you intouch with the guy

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the tranny that is brand new? C6, T18, E4OD, ZF what? Two wheel drive or four wheel drive...these are important details!