Turbo?

nightwalkr

Reaction score
I will be in the market for a turbo with in the next couple months, was wondering if anyone had one they wanted to part with, 6.9 or 7.3 L idi dont care which whole kit if possible.

Thanks

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a complete non-wastegated banks kit (gauges too). The only issue is when my brother was removing it he broke one downpipe bolt off in the exhaust side of the trubo. He stopped there and did not remove any of the other ones. The up pipe is for a C6 tranny. I can get photos if you like.

nightwalkr

Reaction score
Cool if you could post some pictures here that would be great, my truck is A 1993 Ford F350 Crewcab longbed 7.3 IDI with the ZF5, 4x4. I am assuming that there isnt much difference.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some photos of the turbo. I was unable to locate the CDR blockoff plate and the oil fill tube but I will look more this weekend. I have them I just need to dig a little deeper. I have also attached some photos of my ZF5 install which resulted in the modification of my turbo uppipe. I have the exact same turbo on my truck but when I converted from my C6 to the ZF5 the uppipe would not clear the bellhousing so I had to build a new one. Hopefully from the photos you can see what I did. I also had to install a 2 inch body lift to provide the needed clearance between the body and the top of the ZF5 bellhousing. All of the photos are shown with the body lift installed. I used 2" pipe to make my new uppipe. I have heard that Banks made two different types of Y-pipes and turbo pedistal's for these turbos, one for the autos and one for the manuals. This one is for an auto. I also had to grind the ribs off the ZF5 bellhousing on the downpipe side allow the DP to bolt up to the turbo. I hope this helps. If you are still interested I will let you know when I locate the missing items.

Attachments

• PICT0028.JPG
    PICT0028.JPG
    441 KB · Views: 10
  • PICT0033.JPG
    PICT0033.JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 10
  • PICT0040.JPG
    PICT0040.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PICT0046.JPG
    PICT0046.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 7
  • PICT0081.JPG
    PICT0081.JPG
    400.3 KB · Views: 8
  • PICT0070.JPG
    PICT0070.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 4
  • PICT0071.JPG
    PICT0071.JPG
    399.4 KB · Views: 6
  • PICT0072.JPG
    PICT0072.JPG
    427.6 KB · Views: 4
  • PICT0075.JPG
    PICT0075.JPG
    377.2 KB · Views: 12
  • PICT0078.JPG
    PICT0078.JPG
    422.9 KB · Views: 8

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have saggy cab mounts Squeaky, though the pipes are a tight fit, and nothing wrong with a 2" lift anyway. I think that the Banks pipe is transmission specific, I thought it was the downpipe not the up pipes though. Building new up pipes is going to be some work. Banks might still have these but they would be some money. Downpipe is probably not too bad to fab a different one if you have a template for what you want.

nightwalkr

Reaction score
I should be able to fab a few pipes if need be, a friend of mine owns a diesel shop (they primarily work on cummins and cat) but he should be able to help me bend some tubing if need be. Also what is the price on this kit? I know they are quite salty to begin with, cheapest I've seen was 1,900 new.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Contrary to common belief, the Banks system pedestals are exactly the same between automatic and manual transmissions. The only difference is the way the crossover piping runs for each kit as the downpipes are the same. I should know as I have owned both versions.

If you can find someone to fabricate a set of up pipes for you, be prepared for the final bill unless you can get a buddy to do it for ya LOL. When I had mine done for my hypermax turbo kit, I did ALL the prep work and clearance but still ended up paying almost $700. Note that bill included the entire exhaust system and I can't complain as the shop did a hell of a job on it. ;Sweet

EDIT: Considering the pipes from Hypermax were almost $400 and a full length exhaust was $350 before shipping...I can honestly say I got a decent deal having it custom made.

Banks pedestal pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

nightwalkr

Reaction score
I custom made my own exaust all straight 4" aluminized pipe with stainless band clamps, I am wondering how big of a down pipe I could use, I have a 3" downpipe off a cummins that didnt fit right on the truck but I could cut and reweld it to make it fit plus add some bends for clearence , there is a crap load of room under that engine so it shouldnt be too difficult.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have saggy cab mounts Squeaky, though the pipes are a tight fit, and nothing wrong with a 2" lift anyway. I think that the Banks pipe is transmission specific, I thought it was the downpipe not the up pipes though. Building new up pipes is going to be some work. Banks might still have these but they would be some money. Downpipe is probably not too bad to fab a different one if you have a template for what you want.

Yeah the cab mounts could need replacing and I have them but what a pain in the @$$.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should be able to fab a few pipes if need be, a friend of mine owns a diesel shop (they primarily work on cummins and cat) but he should be able to help me bend some tubing if need be. Also what is the price on this kit? I know they are quite salty to begin with, cheapest I've seen was 1,900 new.

Considering the pipe fabrication you may need to do and the broken bolt that needs to be removed from the turbo outlet. I think $450.00 plus shipping is fair. I will also look for the 2 items I couldn't find last night and let you know if I find them. If for some reason I can't find them I will be willing to drop this price some more.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
i had the same kit and it was missing the block off plate so i made one and reused the grommet off my ccv to seal it up with i made it out of 1/4 " plate

nightwalkr

Reaction score
Ok, stupid question, but... what is better wastegated or non wastegate and how much boost will my engine handle? It is barebone factory with the exception of the 4" exaust and the cone style air filter I attached to the factory breather ( i removed the round one of course). The engine is a Navistar A185 (185hp) which from my understanding was the same engine used in some international buses from 1990-1993 with an ATS turbo system that produced 15lbs, of boost. I was told by a bus mechanic this is the safe max for these engines unless you have forged pistons and hardend head bolts. Is this true?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are forged pistons made by Mahle and the best OEM piston around, at least back then. 15lbs is a safe number and will really wake up your truck.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks does have these - I just got one. The up pipes are tranny specific, cost an arm and a leg (~$400), and they "engineer" the clearance on the C6 model by sticking the neck right below the pedestal in a bench vise and clamping the diameter down by about a third. It really looks like it chokes flow badly, and I'm thinking of sending mine back. I don't really see the clearance issue, as the tab on my firewall isn't even notched. It's strange, because the workmanship is otherwise pretty clean. I have an email into them to see if that's the only difference between that and other up pipes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin