Turbo upgrade?

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think I have hit a wall with my truck and my turbo may be holding me back. I am running an ats turbo with an upgraded exhaust and compressor wheel. I have the upgrade ats turbo outlet housing and a a machined compressor housing with larger compressor wheel. The issue is I make about 14psi and that's all she will do. It sounds like it's surging. Also my egt's are at 800 unloaded at about 70-75mph. To top it off when I'm cruising unloaded I'm already in boost at about 7psi. This doesn't seem right to me. I feel like the turbo is to small. I am running a power stroke intercooler. Is there a better turbo I could fab in with custom pipe to flow a little better on the exhaust side? The motor is studded and built. I am running an upgraded ip. Also how much power is the stock lift pump good for? I think it's not keeping up. If I run wot it starts acting like it doesn't have enough fuel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Is the down pipe different from the factory pipe. Are you running a 3 or 4 inch open exhaust to the tail pipe. Are you running a muffler. A straight pipe 4 inch will allow for free flowing exhaust.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7 psi cruising would be nice. Then when you hit the throttle it would go like hell.
Also if you were to take the intercooler out of the circuit it would be higher
Put a bungee on the wastgate arm and see if it goes higher.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running a 3" out of the ats housing then to 4" at the bell housing all the way to the back of the truck with no muffler. The turbo sounds like its struggling to keep up and I think the turbine is just to small now. I just had the timing set and I am not even rolling any coal. Just a very very light amount at WOT down low. I really don't want to run anymore than 14-15psi but I feel like the turbo is maxed out trying to keep up. I have a pre 2000 powerstroke turbo I can try or I can buy something else. Has anyone ran ran an s300?

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
How about an HX35? Shouldn't be too bad to adapt onto your ATS pedestal?

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about an HX35? Shouldn't be too bad to adapt onto your ATS pedestal?

I have no problem using an HX35 how much power can they support? Is there a way for me to delete the pedestal? What about the hole on the back of the intake? I think I want to make a custom turbo merge as I already have a few minor exhaust leaks on the factory ATS up pipe.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much is your pump putting out?....You need to size your turbo to the fuel your running...

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much fuel my pump is good for. I noticed the s300 has a few different turbine sizes any clue on which one would work best? What A/R?

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Don't Know what you are looking for....some guys want a quick spooling Turbo....Some guy's want towing power without High EGT's. Its a balance that is sometimes harder to get than you might think. The best thing to do is to look at what other guy's Turbo's have run with similar builds to yours and then research the turbo specs to find out how much air it moves with different trim /AR specs. I was looking for something that would move about 950 to 1100 cfm to run on my Motorhome with a 7.3... I wanted something that wouldn't be restrictive at the top end of the RPM range because my Engine/Gear combo would be around 3200 cruise....when you push more air into the engine than it can mechanically move you build boost...My HX40w with a 18cm2 housing hits the waste gate at 20 psi into the intercooler to give me 18psi at the manifold at about 2400 to 2600 rpm and pulls hard all the way to 3600. My EGT's haven't gotten over 1000 yet on any hill at WOT so I'm supper happy with my choice of Turbo. If you have the time check out my build thread over on FTE and my Flickr page for pictures. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1261431-class-a-motor-home-with-mild-performance-7-3-a.html Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/racer30/

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I will check it out. I'm not looking to race. I'm looking for pulling power with low egt's.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the HX35 - I'm making 20 psi with mine and I'm sure it could go higher, that's just where the wg is set. I'm seeing 5-10 psi cruising and the spool up is pretty good too.

Not sure how much trouble it would be to get one on there - the hot side inlet is a standard t-3 flange so that would probably bolt up, but you'd need some fab work for the downpipe and might have some clearance issues.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck has a body lift and I have enough mandrel bends to completely fab a new hot side and down pipe.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HX35w has been used on several build with good results, mostly with turned up stock pumps. I think there might be a few guys with rebuilt Turbo calibrated 90cc pumps you will have to look at some build threads to find one. or check out some guys signatures for a combination close to yours and ask them some questions about there setups... The more info you have the better understanding of your needs for your situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online