Turbo Up-Pipes, old vs new (video)

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Type4 i got some new up pipes since i had the turbo off anyway. I'm really glad i did, i didn't realize how bad they were when i intially replaced the turbo - had even sealed them with the exhaust clay seal. I ended up breaking 2 exhaust bolts in the manifolds. That took some time to drill out up to a 1/2" through a 1/2" of cast iron. I didnt bother to try to tap the manifold, i just through bolted i with a nut. I actually ended up not perfectly centered leaving the other side and had a dremel down the stud sticking through so the nut would sit flush. I even soaked everything every day for 3 days in aero kroil. Anyway the bolt sizes and studs for the up pipe manifold are 7/16-14. I nickel nevel seized every bolts, nut stud, and the donut flanges to make sure everything would come back apart if i needed i to.

Here's a quick video of my old up pipe next to the new one to show how the new one is supposed to fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuLeFaTtdsY

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha they got wire wheeled and coated in nickel never sieze before they got installed. It was easy to install asside from the 3 hours spent drilling out broken studs lol it probably took 5 minutes to remove, 10 to install minus the turbo removal and install That took about 30 minutes each time

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed the turbo I wire wheeled it real good then coated it in special ceramic/clay exhaust sealant. Probably why I was slow to build boost and only saw 6psi. Now the next time I start it it'll have moose misters that replaced two different types of injectors, bb and cs, an injection pump with unknown mileage, an electric fuel pump setup, bull moose pump, removed clutch fan and replaced with 4 electric, true cold air intake, and water to air intercooler. I'm surprised Ive been averaging 14.7 with all the things I've found off while replacing this stuff.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't toss those old castings, I'm working on a process to rebuild them.