Turbo seals??

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am lookin at a '94 IDI and in the ad it says the turbo seals are gone. I assume this would mean the oil line seals? Im not sure if this would require replacement of the turbo or just a gasket set maybe...whats yer opinion? Its a '94 CC DRW nice n strait no rust, factory alcoas and hes askin $2500 and motivated to sell....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
turbo might need rebuilt, or just its leaking externally. Either way I can help with that.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK....well I appreciate that. Do ya think this might be a good deal? If hes motivated I think I can prolly get it for 2 grand...

Waiting for a call back to find out mileage and if its a ZF5 or E40D...

Attachments

• 94 CCLB.JPG
    94 CCLB.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sure looks like a good deal in the only picture. Hard to say where the turbo is leaking oil too but a turbo rebuild is not expensive ...

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I talked to the guy n goin to have a look in an hour. He says that the turbo is leakin oil into the exhaust cause he can see it in the tailpipe. Its a ZF5 and 360 Km's (approx 220K miles). He thinks a turbo is $1200 + and so I think this might be a good deal...everything else works, and no rust whatsoever according to him. Will take pics when Im there...

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice truck! Just saw that Alcoa has a recall for some of the dually wheels made in early 90s so maybe you can get a new shiney set if you end up with the truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
With all this information just buy it and drive it home. Then have the turbo rebuilt and balanced. It will not cost $1200.00 to bebuild that turbo if the blades didn't touch the aluminum housing. The quoted price is for a new turbo. I paid $1100.00 for a turbo from Banks 7 years ago to replace the very worn Banks turbo on the engine with 200,000 miles on it. Then to rebuild that one it was around $300.00 because of the shaft and exhaust wheel needed. Any parts for the turbo on this truck are readily available. Typ4 knows these turbos best of all around here. He does a quality rebuild and we know his work is better than the rest. You could also give Conestoga a call about the turbo rebuild too. They are both members here in very high regard for what they offer.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...ok...ok I bought it lol. $1800 n comes with a fairly new DSP 5th wheel n both fuel tanks full!!! What has me puzzled is what engine should this be?? Built 03/94.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is also SOLID...no squeeks or rattles n NO rust anywhere n tight in the front end! Good deal all around I think :)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Post the block serial numbers and we can tell you if its a turbo block or a non turbo block... Nice deal too less than what you thought it may have been...

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it is definately a turbo engine and I knew it would be being a 94, plus it also had the factory "Turbo Diesel" badges on the fenders. My suprise was when I popped the hood it is a PSD in there...

There is oil seepage where the exhaust pipe meets the turbo and some around the oil lines. It runs slightly rough like its not firing on all 8 and idles at about 850 rpm. I took it for a spin and noticed that there was blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe but only under acceleration. On compression it is clean. Could the problem be a sticking injector? I asked if he noticed his fuel consumption drop when this problem showed up but he said he didnt really notice and quit driving it shortly thereafter....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it is definately a turbo engine and I knew it would be being a 94, plus it also had the factory "Turbo Diesel" badges on the fenders. My suprise was when I popped the hood it is a PSD in there...
PSD in (mostly) good shape for $1800? Yeah, I think Al's right...you're a thief LOL ;Sweet

IIRC the PSD started showing up about midway through the '94 model year, so that makes sense. It SHOULD be a 5 speed; IIRC no PSD slushboxes were sold until the '95 model year...