turbo question

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a turbo off a 2000 7.3 that a friend gave to me could i use it on my idi or would it provide to much boost? also how would i go about putting it on?

1994IDI

Reaction score
There's no simple answer to that question. But yes, I believe some guys have done it, but I don't think it is a simple process. Someone will chime in.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
i have a turbo off a 2000 7.3 that a friend gave to me could i use it on my idi or would it provide to much boost? also how would i go about putting it on?

your probably gonna want to talk to Dyoung14, he was working on fabbing up the stuff for a PSD turbo for his IDI

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
the best way i see of doing it is a remote mount system, cause the turbos are so big that is you mount them in the engine and then need to work on something more than likely your going to have to take all your turbo stuff off to work on it which would suck, so a remote mount psd turbo system might be the way you want to go, if you even want to go threw the trouble of fabbing it all up

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
As for the boost, you control that with your right foot, and the output on the pump. intercooling the intake charge would be best, but if you can't intercool now, it's not the end of the world.

Generally, people say 12 PSI is about all you want to run before head gaskets start letting go.

I agree with the remote mount system idea. The turbo would mount under teh cab on the transmission crossmember or on the passenger side frame rail. the pipes running under the truck would cool teh air charge a little (depending on your speed and how you run the pipes)

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i was thinking. i would have to build a sturdy shield for it tho as it spends alot of time off the pavement. where would i run an oil line from for it?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, I don't know where to run the oil from, but if you have an electric fuel pump you can use your factory lift pump to push the oil back to the engine, possibly dumping back into a plug in the head, or into the valley pan.