Turbo options.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I have an 85 F250, 6.9/c6/208/etc.

I ran across a craigslist ad for some turbo kits about 90 miles from me. I am wondering what one you would choose and if the 7.3 turbos are a bolt on for the 6.9
I can get more info on these if needed, right now I only know the basics.

1: ATS. Currently on a 7.3, currently in truck and can hear it run. Comes with engine. He said he had the heads done, but now it has some kind of internal noise.
2: Banks. Wastegated, on a 6.9. Pretty sure he said it was an auto trans truck.
3: 1994 IDI. Factory turbo. Complete engine and all related turbo parts.

The banks is the least expensive and I think is only the turbo kit, the 94 7.3 engine with factory turbo is 200 bucks more, and the ATS is the most expensive (comes with engine).

I do not plan on swapping my engine, I have done that once on my 6.9 and it SUCKED. So these engines would get stripped/parted out for the most money possible (hopefully paying for the turbo kit), and then scrapped if anything is left.

Will the 7.3 stuff work? What other questions do I need to ask? What would you choose?

Keep in mind this ad has been up for 4 days and I am the first "bite" BUT I just moved 800 mi and into a new job, Im broke till the 9th, so this is assuming they are still around by then.

Thanks,
Dylan

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
If it was me with those options, I'd get the Banks, ATS doesn't support their turbos anymore.

That's all things being equal of course, if the other two ATS kits are more complete then get them. They are all good turbos. Just be sure to get all the parts, not just the turbo.

Yes, the 7.3 turbo will work fine on the 6.9.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Personally I would look into the ATS kit because it looks like its a better turbo for what you want. The Banks kit is an older unit and is not wastegated. Yes. Both of these turbo kits will bolt up to the idi engine be it 6.9 or 7.3. They are both drilled to accept the same parts. Thats the good thing about the idi engines. They share many external and internal parts.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Hmm... He told me it was wastegated but I dont know enough to be able to tell. I do see that the turbo looks pretty shiny (new?) in the pic.
Maybe I should get the 94 engine... sell the internals, scrap block, send injectors/pump in for cores...
Im assuming both of the ATS kits are the same, just with one labeled ford?

Does it matte what transmission the ATS trucks had?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
The ATS turbo you posted in the first pic and the ATS/Factory Ford turbo should be the same however the non-factory version (in the first pic) should/could have the more desirable 3" outlet and down pipe. These are known as the waste gated .093 turbos.

Assuming they are complete and in good working order all of them are good turbos imo. If it were up to me I would get the non-factory ATS kit and replace the glow plug that sits underneath it before you bolt it on.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I think he said the factory turbo still has the flattened downpipe, the other two (Ats and banks) are regular round downpipes.
Not sure on outlet size.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case, the best-performing turbo will be the wastegated ATS, known as the 093. The ford factory turbo is an ATS 093, but with a crappier exhaust side for firewall clearance. Some have speculated it was also intentional to avoid competing with the powerstroke, because an ATS 093 truck has about the same output as a stock first-gen powerstroke.

With that said, I have a non-wastegated ATS turbo, the 088. If you want to race stoplight to stoplight, it's not the best kit, because it only builds up to maximum boost under maximum load. But that's fine, because the stock non-turbo truck has enough torque to roast the wheels trying to launch hard, so I don't actually need maximum output until I'm already moving, which means I don't need maximum boost until I'm already moving. Wastegated turbos don't make peak boost near idle RPM either, unless they're deliberately undersized. None of the turbos we're talking about here are like that.

So I'd buy whichever kit looks tidiest, between the ATS 093 and the Banks... but odds are you're going to want to buy all new seals anyway, so even that doesn't really matter. Take the intakes off the turbos and check the play of the compressor shaft. A couple of thousandths of end play is acceptable, likewise axial play. Anything more than that and you're looking at a turbo rebuild.

edit: don't forget the exhaust! ATS offered a full exhaust system, not sure if Banks did, but probably. You want the whole thing if you don't already have an upgraded exhaust, and if they actually have the upgraded stuff. You'll know, because it'll be full 3"

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Well. The banks is 200, the 94 engine/turbo is 400 and the ats (think it comes with engine) is 500. If that changes anyone's opinion.

Really it all comes down to what is left when I finally get paid and can make it up there.

The banks kit is actually from a manual trans iirc, how much of a difference is there?

I doubt any of them have exhaust other than the downpipe.

Last edited:

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, all the IDI turbo kits ever offered fit both manual and automatic. With ATS 088 there are transmission clearance issues which are remedied with a saw. I don't see anything like that in the ATS 093 documentation. The ATS 093 docs clearly say it's for all IDIs. The Ford turbo is an ATS 093, it's just detuned. You don't want it if it has the stock downpipe and exhaust housing. However, if you were open to an engine swap you would want the turbo engine itself because it's got numerous improvements :)

It was pretty common to buy the exhaust with the turbo back in the day, but you might well be right. Still, it's worth looking under the trucks.

I would buy either the banks or the ATS, depending on which one I was sure was in better condition. I don't care about a wastegate because I'm not racing. If they both seemed perfect, ha ha ha, I would buy the banks because two hundred bucks is an astounding deal.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I think the banks kit and 94 engine are no longer in trucks and the other ats is getting pulled this weekend. I don't know how much of the exhaust he is keeping.

So the banks and ats are going to be about the same performance wise going down the road? The truck doesn't see a whole lot of "work" but it does get driven at least every other day. I like the skinny pedal, black smoke and turbo noise.

I'm not trying to get crazy with it, I'm trying to keep this motor/headgaskets/etc intact.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The banks and ATS will make the same max boost. The ATS will make it sooner. To me, not worth the additional money if all else is equal.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Sounds like I'll just go with the banks kit if he still has it . Sounds like the best bang for the buck. How hard is it to put a different turbo on that kit if I wanted to?

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may depend on whether it's got a Garrett T04B or a Mitsubishi TD04H. If the former, relatively easy. It will probably require a new custom down pipe but there will be lots of options because Garrett turbos are everywhere and the T3 and T4 share a center section, plus the compressor and exhaust turbine wheels are balanced independently which makes mixing and matching easy. If Mitsubishi, not sure. I've seen posts claiming both kinds of turbines used with Banks Ford IDI kits.

Based on what you've said about wanting to keep things relatively stock, though, and not having massive power demands, the banks should be plenty of turbo.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Sounds good. And I should expect ~10 psi from any of these?
I'll get a pyro and boost gauge but about how much should I be able to turn my fuel up?
We have lots of tractor and combine turbos laying around...

The truck (if i keep it long enough)will end up with a D60 front, maybe an e4od, and some other goodies, so not "stock" bit i don'treally want to put a whole lot into the engine right now. It really needs a cab swap and if I can't find a good and somewhat cheap one I will eventually part out the truck and scrap the rest.