trying to buy an 86 f250

jbrewer

Reaction score
I need some expert opinions. I am looking at buying an ext cab 4x4 1986 f250 with the 6.9 idi. It is in decent shape with some rust but overall is a decent looking truck. It has the 4 speed tranny and starts with the bump of the key. Is this truck worth 2500.00? it has 96,000 miles on it also. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

jbrewer

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! this will be my first diesel if I buy it. It starts very easy when cold or warm

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
the cavitation normally only happens with the 7.3's so he wont have to worry about that

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Is it a super cab like my avatar? If you found my old truck and buy it I won't be happy! LOL been lookin a long time for her

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Where is the rust at?

If it's in the cab corners they will need to be cut out and replaced.

$2,500 sounds like a fair price to me.

jbrewer

Reaction score
Driver side cab corner. Not bad at all but it seems all together it does have a small leak from a valve cover and it was replaced but still leaks. I have also found an almost mint 1993 cc lb f350 with lift, brand new tires, cap with 47,000 on the diesel for $8,000. Too high priced on this 1?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Your 86 seems a better deal, if some questions are asked. Does the seller know if the head gaskets have been replaced? Most all of the 6.9s need it around 100,000 miles, as the factory gaskets give out between cyls.#6&8 (rear two on the pass. side).

Cavitation is not generally a problem with the 6.9, no worries there.

Have you driven it? The front diff sometimes has a "death wobble" at driving speed (around 50 mph, usually) that takes some work and $ to correct. Does it have speed control? Does it work? Does it have the stock water separator? What gear ratio? 4.10 or 3.55? Or do you care about fuel mileage?

Has it been run on anything but diesel (WMO, biodiesel, etc.)? If it has ever been run on untaxed fuel, it will have a red dye color in the tank and system that could be problems if the law stops you for anything else.

These and some other questions could help you negotiate a better price, but $2500 is not too bad if the body is straight.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Quick starts indicate that the injection pump, injectors, and glow plugs are operating well, maybe replaced recently? $2500 for the '86 sounds just about right. Any other maintenance history, brakes, clutch? By the way, welcome to the site, you are at the right place for "expert" opinions for sure.:rotflmao Seriously though, you have a down to earth, hard working good bunch here.:angel:

jbrewer

Reaction score
Lol thanks! Clutch is new I am going to drive it tomorrow! I can't wait I will post some pics also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance