Truck turned off randomly?

Preems14

Reaction score
Today i was driving my truck up a hill doing about 75km in 4th and i lost power so i paused my stereo and my truck wasnt even running. I have aftermarket gauges and the water temp was 220 celcius. what im wondering is, did it overheat or is there something severely wrong. After almost hitting a cement barrier from losing my power steering i pulled over and popped my hood cuz i figured my fan belt broke. but everything was perfectly fine, no leeks, just a bit of sizzling... my truck is a 1993, did they have anything to prevent the motor from blowing up if it got to hot, that was my idea if it turned off, like a safety feature or something. i let it cool down to about 160 then i started it again and it ran perfectly, it has never run any better. has anyone ever had a similiar experience or know why it shut down?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy cow, 220 degrees Celsius is over 420 degrees Fahrenheit, normal operating temperature for out trucks is about 200F so you overheated big time. Did you not see the red "engine" light on the dash, or it just never came on?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well if the water temp was 220* C then yeah, thats your problem. But I figure you mean *F. If it actually was *C....I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say your motor is done.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No shut-down safety included; they will run until they blow.

You might want to examine your fuel shut-off solenoid and it's wiring, also possibly the ignition-switch circuit.

Your post reads to me like your injection-pump just thought that the key had switched to OFF.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midnight rider is correct. My tow truck used to die randomly until I replace the electrical switch at the column. But also check each connection on the IP harness for corrosion or heat damage since heat at a bad connection can cause loss of circuit contact. Also, chech the condition of your clutch fan. From what you said there is a strong chance it's failing.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These motors are made to run and pull heavy. If you baby them the fuel doesn't burn off the cylinders and rings. That will cause plenty of blowby till you burn it off. Just puttering around town kinda loads them up so get it out and run it hard every once and a while. My motor runs better after I haul my horses for a long time. Then it seems to lag a bit till I run it hard. These are work motors so work them and not baby them. Now this doesn't mean to go out a beat the crap out of them either. Just pull a long steep grade and get the heat up in the cylinders.

Preems14

Reaction score
No shut-down safety included; they will run until they blow.

You might want to examine your fuel shut-off solenoid and it's wiring, also possibly the ignition-switch circuit.

Your post reads to me like your injection-pump just thought that the key had switched to OFF.

where is the fuel shut off solenoid located im fairly knew to these engines

FordGuy100

Reaction score
These motors are made to run and pull heavy. If you baby them the fuel doesn't burn off the cylinders and rings. That will cause plenty of blowby till you burn it off. Just puttering around town kinda loads them up so get it out and run it hard every once and a while. My motor runs better after I haul my horses for a long time. Then it seems to lag a bit till I run it hard. These are work motors so work them and not baby them. Now this doesn't mean to go out a beat the crap out of them either. Just pull a long steep grade and get the heat up in the cylinders.

I agree with this. If I pull a grade WOT for a while....my truck runs much smoother, and it spools much faster for the next day or so. Thats at least what I see.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I agree with Icanfixall, run the hole out of your IDI's every little bit and get them hot. Mine is N/A and I see a difference in how it drives after a heavy load.....Works and starts better.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its probably an electrical issue. Try this. Run a jumper wire directly from the battery positive to the injection pump shutoff solenoid terminal. Now you can only stop the motor by lifting this jumper wire. The key ignition switch wont kill the motor any longer with this wire feeding the pump. Use this and try to make the motor just shut down again. If it doesn't then you know its something in the wiring to the pump. Could be the ignition switch.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shut-down solenoid is located at the injector-pump, sort of in front and up top; it is the electrical plunger thingie that shuts off the fuel.