Truck ran great for 400+ miles yesterday and now won't start

gandalf

Reaction score
Yes, as Thewespaul says, there is a cone screen just inside the inlet on the IP. I certainly wouldn't count on it to catch very much. If it DID catch something you might want to clean it off.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still not sure that would matter much. A sealed container of ATF or MMO should be pretty clean, particulate wise. I'd be more concerned about dust from the air dropping onto the filter than crud inside the oil/fuel used.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can really just fill up my filter with some ATF?

Good to know, have quite a bit of fresh ATF laying around.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottles " should" be clean. But stuff happens. Most common is plastic pieces left over from the molding process. Anything poured into an engine will be filtered by the oil filter. Pouring it into the fuel filter by way of the clean oil hole bypasses any filtering.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Center hole is the output, so you want to always fill from the outside small holes so that only filtered fuel reaches the ip
Good to know, learn something new every day! I always went straight to the middle since the fluid is brand new but one little step of prevention is worth it.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next filter change I'll fill by the outside I just assumed fill the middle learned something new

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm still not sure that would matter much. A sealed container of ATF or MMO should be pretty clean, particulate wise. I'd be more concerned about dust from the air dropping onto the filter than crud inside the oil/fuel used.
I agree to an extent. I don't really care, just fill it center.
But.... if you look into the bottom of some oil jugs/buckets, it can be quite shocking.
Though, I can't say I've opened that many ATF containers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
By filling any fuel or oil filter by the OUTSIDE ring of small holes you are allowing the filter to act on whats being poured in it. Not thats none of my business.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're smelling diesel something must be leaking. Last time I smelled diesel in mine, I found out that 1 of my injector line had a crack and spitting fuel to the valley pan. If your fuel filter was clogged, there's a chance that your schrader valve popped or anything else on the filter head due to the pressure

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t really matter how you fill a filter imo, as long as the liquid your using is clean.
How do you fill oil in a filter? As it’s virtually impossible to fill it using the small outer holes unless you want to be there all day trying to fill it.
Or you can just spin it on dry like 99% of mechanic shops do lol