Truck **** - New paint!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, they were taken off an '88 and put on the '94 in the sales lot when the new truck 'doesn't come with covers'.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when my dad bought his in 91, it had an ugly set of black steel wheels and no bumper. It was the same color combo as my truck I'm redoing. The one next to it was the awful green and tan. It had the nice aluminum wheels and the nice chrome rear bumper. He told the salesman, take the wheels and bumper off that truck and put them on the other one and he'd take it home. Salesman said oh, no... we can't do that. We left. By the time we got home, there was a message on the answering machine saying his truck was ready. :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's easy to forget how one of these trucks can shine with new paint...awesome!! Thanks for posting the pics ;Sweet

If I may ask, you said that you do "rustproofing" every year...what exactly does that entail?

That concept pretty much doesnt' exist out here, although if I'm going to continue living on the coast, it's time for me to learn :shocked:

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warden,
I have a pressure tank (actually an old fire extinguisher) that I half fill with hydraulic fluid and use compressed air to squirt it out a copper tube. This will shoot it six feet, easy to get into door pillars, fenders,etc. This year I used my cheap paint gun (siphon feed) to do most of it, found a LOT less dripping and better coverage. I have used an old oil furnace pump with a 1/4 hp electric motor for a sprayer... that works well also. You just have to be within range of electrical power.

The process is pretty easy. Coat everything with oil. Start with the underside and work your way up! ;Really

If you are looking for a product (instead of hydraulic fluid) I think Fluid Film is the best choice. I haven't actually used it yet but I just bought a 5 gal pail of it to try. I did a lot of research on rust protection and I think Fluid Film is the one to try. I bought mine from http://www.kellsportproducts.com/ I haven't tried spraying it yet (I probably should have bought their spray gun.

If you are going to use hydraulic fluid, any cheap 32 Tractor Supply stuff will work. Hydraulic oil is nice because it will crawl and penetrate everywhere. Don't use motor oils! They contain detergents that will ruin rubbers.

Last edited:

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
So I just googled 'Alcoas' and year of my truck... Aluminum rims? On a truck? ***? cookoo

I get it, my truck is so pretty you guys think I should put girly rims on it. :rotflmao

Holy moley if this is girly then I'm Betty White :rotflmao:cheers:;Poke

Attachments

• fl025-0011238516888.jpg
    fl025-0011238516888.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 56

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to keep an eye out for your truck! Shouldn't be hard to spot at all with that shiny new paint. ;Really

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haunt the Greely / Metcalfe and south Ottawa (Hunt club / Merivale) areas.

I'm out that way once in a while... I'm in the Navan area. Just got back from Fleming in Lindsay, ON; I've been out of town a little while.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Fluid film smells horrible. I'd use the hydraulic fluid just for the fact that I don't want to constantly smell FF everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm out that way once in a while... I'm in the Navan area. Just got back from Fleming in Lindsay, ON; I've been out of town a little while.

I grew up in Cumberland near the John Deere dealer... been to the Navan fair many times. Was there for the 50 horse hitch.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fluid film smells horrible. I'd use the hydraulic fluid just for the fact that I don't want to constantly smell FF everywhere.

I haven't smelled it yet. I guess I will do my wife's van before putting it on my truck! :rotflmao

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
It's not a bad smell, I just don't like it. Some people say they do.

Ff is lanolin, oil from sheep wool. Someone said "smells like wet sheep".

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice looking truck!!!! Keep it like that as long as possible. Lord knows they aren't going to make any new ones. That one looks like new!!!!

A nice color of blue.... Ron will be pleased, don't think he has used that particular shade..... yet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online