Truck has no electrical power, I mean nothing!

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok,

Put in a new battery this week to replace an old one. Truck started and ran fine today.

I had to get some things done this evening and when I hit the key, the glow plug light came on and then nothing, no lights no stereo nothing.

The CB radio, which takes power directly from the fuse box would run intermittently but the lights on it were very dim.

I tried moving the gear shift lever (it's an automatic) through the whole range thinking it is a neutral safety switch issue and got nothing.

Do I have a bad ignition switch?

What's going on here? Of course I'm left with a crap Chiltons manual that wouldn't fix a model T Ford let alone my diesel.:dunno

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
check the big yellow wire on the passenger side fenderwell. there is aconnector there it may be loose/melted. i cut out the connector and spliced the wire. this is the main wire for the whole truck.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did that last year and briefly checked it tonight. Didn't see anything burned or broken.

I'll have a look at it in the morning.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I went back outside and moved the steering column up and down still nothing.

Not even power to the door locks or even the extra off road lights that I have wired in a separate circuit from the ignition key.

I'm thinking that it might be a ground issue? I should probably check the grounds to the engine block next (?).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Start by cleaning all the battery terminals. That way you know there is power that far. Then turn on the key and then jump the starter solenoid on the passenger fender. What you need to do is pull off a small wire and jump the heavy leads to that small terminal. I just use a screwdriver to make the jump. If it trys to start then at least you know you have a way of getting it running. It may just be the ignition switch has gone bad on you.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have power to ANYTHING, and I do mean anything. That's why I'm thinking its either the ignition switch itself or the grounds.

The battery terminals were cleaned thoroughly on Tuesday when I put a new battery in on the driver's side.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean your terminals and make sure they are shiny clean. I ran into this a couple years ago when I changed the batteries in the shop truck. The part of the terminal that contacts the post on the battery had a build up of crap on them. I cleaned the with a wire cleaner and battery cleaning spray when I changed them. It started just fine and when we went to start it the next morning it had nothing. I tore my hair out till an old timer told me to take something sharp and scrape the inside of the terminals so I cold see shiny metal. It took care of the problem.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give that a try first thing tomorrow. The truck ran just fine this afternoon, went to the store with no problems.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also suggest checking you bulkhead connection on the firewall. That can cause some weird things to happen.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80-86 doesn't have a bulkhead connector like the 87-97 trucks do.
But there's fusible links running off the constant hot terminal on the solenoid. time to start checking them one by one-cuss
Even though you just replaced the batteries, disconnect them and load test each individually. If one has a shorted cell, it will take out the whole system.
Also, just for ***** and giggles, check your ignition slider switch. a longshot since the constant hot stuff isn't working right either.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i know you said the battery terminals are clean but that sure is what is sounds like. i have had the same problem on other vehicles and i rotate the terminals some in a pinch and it comes back.

do you have 13.5 volts at the battery? i know currosion can get into where the wire comes into the terminal and cause problems. if you just changed out the batteries and this happened i would go check anything you touched and moved. you should be able to feel heat coming from the resistance in a bad connection if you put a load on like the headlights if that works. besides that do make sure you have good grounds between the batteries, frame, engine and body.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, problem solved.

I cleaned and reattached the battery posts on both cells, put the charger on the passenger side as a boost and hit the key.

Truck lit off.

Just as a check, I put a voltage meter on the battery posts at idle (not the cables) and was showing a steady 13.56 volts on both batteries.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. This site proves its worth yet again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin