Trouble with Raylan: low oil pressure and massive blow by.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you guys haven't figured it out yet, I'll just say it again I'm totally crunched for time right now. What is the best way to check the CVDR? I have another, I assume good CDR but is there a fast " down and dirty " way to check it? Just pulled the hose going to the intake and check to see that it is puffing?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you guys haven't figured it out yet, I'll just say it again I'm totally crunched for time right now. What is the best way to check the CVDR? I have another, I assume good CDR but is there a fast " down and dirty " way to check it? Just pulled the hose going to the intake and check to see that it is puffing?

Actually that should work. You should be getting smoke from the hose going into the air cleaner. I'd disconnect it there. If you're NOT getting smoke there, that's likely part of the problem.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In your first video, it sounds to me like there's some chuffing. Again to me, it sounds like it's in the intake, not the exhaust. Of course with the air box and turbo hat covering the intake, it's hard to tell.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your first video, it sounds to me like there's some chuffing. Again to me, it sounds like it's in the intake, not the exhaust. Of course with the air box and turbo hat covering the intake, it's hard to tell.

Chuffing is caused by what exactly? IIRC, from a valve not sealing or damaged? Also remember hearing that it co be a bad injector?? Is that correct? BTW it started right up, as it always does. Cold oil pressure was only 35-38 psi. So next move, I'll pull the airbox and listen to how it sounds. Then I'll need to buy a compression tester gauge set, any recommendations that won't break the bank but will still do the job?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Chuffing is caused by what exactly? IIRC, from a valve not sealing or damaged? Also remember hearing that it co be a bad injector?? Is that correct? BTW it started right up, as it always does. Cold oil pressure was only 35-38 psi. So next move, I'll pull the airbox and listen to how it sounds.
Chuffing is better described as a "popping" noise. Either from your intake or exhaust. This is from a valve not sealing, like you said, and compression is getting by. A bad injector can cause a knock or a miss. It won't cause a chuff since they don't affect compression. Once you remove the air box and turbo hat, if it's an intake valve like I think it is, the popping noise will be very loud. Without being there to hear it in person, it's hard to tell what the noise actually is and I may be wrong. I'm mostly thinking this because the normal "intake pulse" that you hear with an open intake is muffled by a turbo and hard to hear at all.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Any ideas on a good affordable compression tester?

Harbor Freight has a decent low end set. I purchased 4 of them just in case I killed a few. I returned the other 3 since the first one I opened worked perfectly. I checked the gauge against a calibrated gauge I had and it was spot on within 10lbs.

The glow plug adapter is too long and will need to be trimmed with a hacksaw. Other than that everything worked right out of the box.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the set I had good luck with and the trimmed down adapter.
You must be registered for see images attach

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the set I had good luck with and the trimmed down adapter.

Thanks for the recommendation! Agreed, HF quality control needs improvement. Judging by how willing they to take returns, it seem like final QC is left up to the end user! That being said, I've also had satisfactory results with the HF "cheap chicom crap"... I'm all for supporting American made tools and other products. However, I'm pretty broke these days and if I can get a serviceable imported item for 1/5 of the cost of of a U.S. made tool, I'm sorry to say my desire to support our businesses, not to mention the pride in ownership of a top quality tool has to take a back seat to the reality of my finances. What are good compression numbers for the idi? What is an acceptable deviation?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From what I know, the "ideal" numbers are 375+. Just to throw out a number accounting for age and mileage. Also "ideal" is no more than 10% variance. I think "perfect" numbers would be in the 400-420 range.
I agree on the Harbor Freight stuff. Some is ok, other stuff isn't. I know that for the power tools, they usually have a range of price and quality, cheap, ok, and best quality (at least for HF). I use some of their things for things that I don't use very often like hole saws and a balancer puller that I modified to use as a steering wheel puller. I also have a parts washer that I haven't got set up yet so I don't know how well it works. I guess that as long as it pumps, then one is as good as another.

420Bullnose

Reaction score
Check the turbos condition, For me my turbo is going out and is in need of a rebuild, it causes excessive blow-by and Massive oil consumption.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86