Trouble with Raylan: low oil pressure and massive blow by.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang! Our 170,*** mi. '94 4×4 e4od idit F250, Raylan, recently started drinking more oil. I first noticed it on a 1300 mi. round to Virginia Beach to pick up a 96 geo tracker for a VW IDI diesel swap. These motors are loose and tend to use some oil, so I wasn't too concerned, but the oil consumption increase was pretty noticeable. Maybe 4+ quarts total, most on the return trip, which I attributed to pulling a load... That was about 2 weeks ago and I haven't really used the truck much at all other than a few short (5-8mi.) trips. Yesterday, we went to the farmer's market and ran some other errands. I noticed that it seemed to be making more valve train clatter. I'm pretty deaf, but my wife confirmed it. After the market,when pulling out, I felt/noticed a little stutter or something like a slight miss which didn't continue to be noticeable. When we got to our next stop,15 minutes away, I opened the hood to find the dipstick pushed up an inch or so with plenty of blow by showing. I popped the fill cap and not surprisingly, there was a lot of blow by that didn't decrease with increasing the revs. We had one more local stop and than a 45 minute drive home. That's when we noticed that the oil pressure had dropped to just a hair over 25 psi @2000 rpm and 12.5 psi at idle coolant, temp was consistent at 195° Prior to this, it was more like 25psi at idle and 45psi at speed. Of note is that the oil pressure did not increase with more revs, I never paid attention to this before, perhaps that's normal? IDK... Of course I didn't push it, but the gauge did not fluctuate up to 2500 RPM. When we got home, I recorded a video of the blow by which I'll post up shortly. What's the opinion of the collective? As always, many thanks to all!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you've peeked underneath and still have no leaks correct? Does look like a good bit of blowby. Is it possible there's a restriction in your CDR or the hose between that and the intake?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's hard to tell in a video, but to me, it looks like a puffing. Like maybe one cylinder's letting a lot of combustion go past for some reason.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you've peeked underneath and still have no leaks correct? Does look like a good bit of blowby. Is it possible there's a restriction in your CDR or the hose between that and the intake?

I Did, no leaks. I was thinking (hoping) that it could be CDR related, but with the low oil pressure, I'm assuming that it's worse. I'm under the bus with daily driver stuff! Two days before I was planning to leave to go and pick up the Tracker, that evening the water pump in the Jeep quit. So instead of getting tools ready and packing for a road trip, I was jamming to get the water pump in since Marketa had to use the Jeep for work over the weekend. This afternoon, she left to go to Motor Vehicle to get a tag for the tracker while I was torching a very stubborn O2 sensor. Anyway, she was back 10 minutes later, it seems that the bearing in the idler pulley bracket that the fan and clutch is mounted on took a dump causing the fan to lightly start contacting the crank pully, so as soon as she heard the noise she came back. The Idler pulley bracket also is the bracket for the alternator and the air conditioning compressor. And guess what? It is an obsolete part no longer produced... I used a belt tension gauge when I did the water pump, so I guess it was just it's time to quit.
I'm jamming to get the Tracker on the road since right now we don't have any running and legal vehicles... Once we've got viable transportation, I will start to investigate Raylan more thoroughly...

:mad:Gaah!!

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost feel like you have two issues.
I'd start with a compression test.
Record peak number and number of strokes to get there per cylinder.

The second part almost sounds like when the oil pressure regulator/spring in the rear head of the oil cooler starts to go bad and you are bypassing the filter back into the crank case.
Traditionally you need to go through the oil filter to get full oil pressure but I'm not 100% certain on an idi if it dumps back into the crankcase what downstream effects that would have.. If no effects.
This motor is all oil volume and can support like three aux oil units. When it bypasses it might not actually lower the oil pressure.

Just throwing some thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the two are related issues (and I could be wrong). If there is an issue with a cylinder, like bad rings or a bad piston, then that cylinder may have low enough compression that all of the fuel doesn't burn and it may be going past the piston/rings and ending up in the oil. Since diesel is much thinner than oil, the pressure reading on the gauge should be lower as well. Have you smelled the oil to see if there's much diesel in it?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the two are related issues (and I could be wrong). If there is an issue with a cylinder, like bad rings or a bad piston, then that cylinder may have low enough compression that all of the fuel doesn't burn and it may be going past the piston/rings and ending up in the oil. Since diesel is much thinner than oil, the pressure reading on the gauge should be lower as well. Have you smelled the oil to see if there's much diesel in it?
Yes i agree, interested to see comp test

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 for checking the cdr, I would add check the turbo as well but a compression test would show a lot. How long on the oil change date/mileage, and what oil are you using?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 for checking the cdr, I would add check the turbo as well but a compression test would show a lot. How long on the oil change date/mileage, and what oil are you using?

Mobil Devlac 15-40 every 4k. Changed it just before leaving. New fuel and coolant filters. Howes with every fill up. I don't beat it at all.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm driving Marketa to work and then hitting the salvage yards trying to find a bracket for the Jeep pulley. She's got a 10-hour day and it's about 50 miles away so I probably won't get a chance to look at the truck until Sunday. Thanks for your help guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online