Trouble with Raylan: low oil pressure and massive blow by.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the turbos condition, For me my turbo is going out and is in need of a rebuild, it causes excessive blow-by and Massive oil consumption.

Thanks for your input. I'm pretty certain that my Turbo is fine, it's a recent rebuild from Russ @typ4. No oil smoke out the exhaust and I've still got the low oil pressure to account for...

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the set I had good luck with and the trimmed down adapter.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

I was able to get to HF last night and picked up the recommended compression tester. With any luck, I'll get to use it in the next day or two!

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to get to HF last night and picked up the recommended compression tester. With any luck, I'll get to use it in the next day or two!

I should have said the next week or two! Maybe I'm a day or three out now after digging out from a pile of unexpected things.

Can anyone give me a reasonable guestimate of the cost of parts for a complete rebuild of my idit? I understand that I won't know the variables until I'm in to it, so I won't know if I need much machine work or pistons or other big ticket stuff. I'll go with the assumption that the turbo is fine and the heads should be fine as well since Wes went through them ~20k ago. Maybe I'll luck out and just need a re-ring. If that's the case, can anyone estimate cost? What about if I need to overbore?
Thanks all!

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These ball parks should help you:

IDIoit I had asked his one motor and this is what he posted which includes some machining and extra stuff you didn't ask about:
600 for .020 pistons
500 to shave and coat the pistons.
250 for total seal 2nd fire ring.
500 for girdle
500 for studs
400 for cam
600 in valves
200 for springs
900 for roller rockers
250 for pushrods
140 for lifters
200 gasket set
1600 for machine work with bearings

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These ball parks should help you:

IDIoit I had asked his one motor and this is what he posted which includes some machining and extra stuff you didn't ask about:
600 for .020 pistons
500 to shave and coat the pistons.
250 for total seal 2nd fire ring.
500 for girdle
500 for studs
400 for cam
600 in valves
200 for springs
900 for roller rockers
250 for pushrods
140 for lifters
200 gasket set
1600 for machine work with bearings

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the good info!
Girdle? For the mains?

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The parts prices seem high to me. A lot of the things listed wouldn't be needed for a stock rebuild.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The parts prices seem high to me. A lot of the things listed wouldn't be needed for a stock rebuild.

Obviously(hopefully?), I won't need many of the components on that list. For example, when I helped @Thewespaul pull the engine so we could install studs, freshen it up and and do a re seal, he commented on how clean and tight everything seemed. He went through the heads, checking the lifters, rocker arms, pushrods, lapping the valves and doing some mild porting. He installed new seals and Comp 910 springs while he was in there. We did the head gasket cooling mod and serviced the oil cooler, glow plugs and I'm sure that there are a bunch of other things that are slipping my mind right now, maybe Wes will chime in and remind me... Honestly, I'm really stumped and surprised at this malfunction... I've been super busy with other stuff lately but hopefully I'll get some time to move it to the shop so I can try to get a diagnosis of what took a dump. My plans are to pull the airbox so I can maybe hear better what's going on. Then I'll run it without the valve covers and finally do a compression test. If anyone has any suggestions for more/better diagnostics, by all means, please let me know.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its an odd one for sure, Im betting on piston related damage with the blowby amount but getting some compression numbers would tell a good bit. Hoping for a straight forward rering!