Traveller Smurf (Cubey's '89 van)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The little 12v evaporative cooler does what it claims. It better, considering they charge $350 full price. Not sure it's worth more than the $100 I paid though. I like it fine for what it is, not regretting buying it. It makes a bit of difference if it's blowing right on you, even from 5-6ft away.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Another fun thing I noticed today... the mechanical lift pump is still seemingly plumbed in, with an electric pushing fuel towards it. I haven't looked close enough to see if it's actually plumbed in but odds it is, since the hard line is on it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'll bet that you can fix that pretty easily.

I'm gonna start it up with the electric pump next time as usual, with a fuel pressure gauge stuck on the filter housing (bleeder valve core removed, same way I did on the RV) and try turning off the electric pump, and see if it keeps proper pressure. Looking at the filter housing, it's still being fed from the hard line coming up from the mechanical pump. And the supply hose to the mechanical pump is going to the hard line down below. Maybe electric was only meant for fuel filter priming, hence being on a switch?

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It's not gonna be long before it's summer! I don't think I'll be taking the canvas tent with me this year. It'll go in the cargo trailer, for use again next winter season. It's excellent for here, no regrets buying it. Maybe I'll consider dragging it around in summer in the future? I want to see how things go this year in the van first.

In place of using it, I ordered this. Much smaller and lighter to haul around for a summer kitchen/dining area and general outside area if bugs are bad. I have one USB bug zapper already that works great, so I might order a couple more ultra cheap ones (from temu) to have hanging in there.

I also ordered this for a nice outdoor table/cabinet for my 2 burner Coleman stove. I like this one in particular because it has an aluminum tabletop, unlike most, that have "mdf" board; aka: thin particle board with a very thin layer of plastic that doesn't hold up to sunlight before cracking and then letting water into the particle board and weakening it. So, it should last much longer under heavy use. Handy storage so I can set up for 5 days or longer, without constantly fetching things from the van.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'll bet that you can fix that pretty easily.

Got the E4OD heater hose replaced and the radiator filled.

Fuel pressure electric pump on 4psi
Fuel pressure electric pump off: 0psi

Sooo yeah the mechanical pump is dead. It's just passing through fuel from the electric pump. Unless the electric pump is blocking fuel passing through when it's off?

I bought these for deleting the mechanical pump on RV, so I still have a spare union from the 2 pack. I just need another barb fitting. This preserves the hard line, so a mechanical pump could be put back in the future. Besides that, I only need a small piece of 3/8" fuel hose, an extra clamp, and the delete plate. Easy enough. I'll get those ordered ASAP.

Debating buying another electric fuel pump to keep on hand for an emergency.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Busily working on condensing stuff and boxing up stuff I don't need for tossing in the cargo trailer. Debating shipping one big box of stuff to my mom's house and having her store it in the spare bedroom with my other stuff.

A good example of condensing: The tools (HFT Dremel & vac/fuel pressure gauge) for the two smaller cases are in a big tote with other tools and a few parts. The bigger box was an extra case I got free a year or two ago that was only about half full. It's stuff is in the same big tote.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Started the grey tank installation today. I forgot to buy one ABS fitting, so I will soon.

I know, the hole is way oversized and hideous, but I didn't have a good enough hole saw to cut through such heavy metal... so I used what I had: lots of drill bits. I would have had to buy a heavier duty drill too. It was eas hard to measure the hole too because it's down under the countertop in the corner. No matter, I'll seal around it with something. Probably expanding foam.

The tank hangs down only a bit under the running board. The 3" RV drain valve is gonna be totally under the running board, but it'll still have enough ground clearance for speed bumps.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the E4OD heater hose replaced and the radiator filled.

Fuel pressure electric pump on 4psi
Fuel pressure electric pump off: 0psi

Sooo yeah the mechanical pump is dead. It's just passing through fuel from the electric pump. Unless the electric pump is blocking fuel passing through when it's off?

I bought these for deleting the mechanical pump on RV, so I still have a spare union from the 2 pack. I just need another barb fitting. This preserves the hard line, so a mechanical pump could be put back in the future. Besides that, I only need a small piece of 3/8" fuel hose, an extra clamp, and the delete plate. Easy enough. I'll get those ordered ASAP.

Debating buying another electric fuel pump to keep on hand for an emergency.
Jumping threads here, but that electric pump is a p4070 right? Those are vane style pumps and are not draw through, so your test wasn't accurate.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Jumping threads here, but that electric pump is a p4070 right? Those are vane style pumps and are not draw through, so your test wasn't accurate.

That's what I thought, but Carter is vague about it. So, what do I do? Leave it and hope mechanical is ok? I'm really not wanting to take on more repair work right now, if I can help it.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bypass the mechanical, or remount the electric after the mechanical.

I don't like feeding mechanical pumps with electric pumps as the chance is there to rupture the diaphragm in the mechanical unit, and then pump the crankcase full of diesel.

The 4070 will be okay feeding an IDI by itself if you mount it by the tank. If you're putting in a fuel pressure gauge anyways, just keep an eye on the pressure, and run it that way.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Do you plan to travel more this coming summer since you are more mobile than when you had the MH?

Yep. Plus I'll have to move more, just due to water and toilet capacities, if nothing else. Unless I have nearby (ie: 5-10 miles) access to water and dump. I know a couple like that in AZ I'll be heading to in April: Williams and near the Grand Canyon. I was at one of the two last year. I'll probably flee the desert sooner this year since I don't want to deal with heat in this without any air conditioning or the big swamp cooler.

A chunk of the route I'm considering is going places I've been before, but it would be on the way to a new destination. Routes are a bit limiting out west due to so many mountains. But it's good free camping with free dump stations along the way. I'll probably stop by the RV park in Utah I was in for the previous two summers to spend a night to get water, dump, and a take shower. Plus say hi to anyone still/again there.

And I want to take Lucy for her annual vet visit over near Cedar City UT again in May. He's a very affordable, country vet. I'm guessing he makes his big money on livestock, so he's not crazy on dog prices.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Bypass the mechanical, or remount the electric after the mechanical.

I don't like feeding mechanical pumps with electric pumps as the chance is there to rupture the diaphragm in the mechanical unit, and then pump the crankcase full of diesel.

The 4070 will be okay feeding an IDI by itself if you mount it by the tank. If you're putting in a fuel pressure gauge anyways, just keep an eye on the pressure, and run it that way.

Maybe I can get enough room to bypass the mechanical before I remove it, to be sure that the electric pump is working.

The gauge seller is a dirty liar, it's coming from China, not Kentucky. USPS tracking is stuck showing Kentucky because the seller claimed it was coming out of there, but USPS exposes
the deception, says the "shipping partner" is WINIT. So who knows when I'll get it. I don't have any actual tracking unless it gets to USPS. At least it's eBay so I'll get my money back if it's a total scam.