Traveller Smurf (Cubey's '89 van)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I can't remember. I may have been about 12 when that happened.

I don't have to worry about it, the heater system is gone on mine. It could be put back but I'd have to have factory exhaust, I think.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Cubey did you ever stop to think that LUCEY may want AC and LUCEY may want cruise control ;Poke :rotflmao

Just pulling your leg!! But just cause we drive relics doesn’t mean we have to completely suffer!!

You now have a van that will happily run 75 down the interstate or 65 down the highway. Enjoy that picture window with AC and cruise control!!

Frost yourself!! (That was from some movie)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
@Cubey Just pulling your leg!! But just cause we drive relics doesn’t mean we have to completely suffer!!

Unless I plan to be in very humid places in summer, I don't need ac. Maybe some day, if I can first find a junkyard van for the missing hard lines that you can't get new. The line with the high pressure port shown on the RV AC pic, for example.

Cruise hasn't worked on any of my IDIs. Nor does the bug have it, of course. So eh I don't care about that.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running VBelts or serp? I'm about to convert to serpentine, can send you my old compressor if you're running VBelts

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Are you running VBelts or serp? I'm about to convert to serpentine, can send you my old compressor if you're running VBelts

V belts. I wonder if trucks use the same compressor as vans though. Considering vans had Saginaw power steering pumps until 92.

edit: looks like it should be the same, according to O'Reilly's cross reference.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I finally got around to fixing the OD button better. I just stuffed the rigged up switch in the hole as an emergency backup switch, in case this F-Series switch breaks. I'd just have to cut out the hot glue holding in the factory type switch, and pull it out from behind through the hole. I had to break off one of the switch's mounting ears, but left the other, because it doesn't really matter and it gave me a way to wedge it in place and hold it while gluing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
YIKES. I know I had my foot down but that's... unacceptable. Maybe it's just a weird fill-up number due to a combination of hauling ass across Texas at 65-70 mostly, head winds, and a station that just filled the tanks more than the last time?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
YIKES. I know I had my foot down but that's... unacceptable. Maybe it's just a weird fill-up number due to a combination of hauling ass across Texas at 65-70 mostly, head winds, and a station that just filled the tanks more than the last time?

Texas.......... U do know when you dealing & running round Texas EVERYTHING IS BIGGER IN TEXAS!!!!
I know cause I'm from there! And I'm serious, EVERYTHING IS BIGGER DOWN THERE!!!!

We still have a bank account in Texas & everytime I write a check I always tell receiver of check that I'm just writing it for 1/4 of the bill cause Texas Dollars are 4 times bigger than Oregon Dollars!!!!!
I'm serious!!!!!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I spent a bit of time today looking for the source of diesel smell coming from ??? and a big wet area on the passenger side that checked out as diesel based on a tiny drop from down there absorbed into a paper towel:

Well, that was easy to find. That's probably why it started yesterday, ran about 5 seconds then stalled and didn't want to restart. Classic return line air intrusion symptom. Looks to be only at the rear most cap on the passenger side, close above the wet area. It might just be the hose, since that's where it looks the wettest.

The cap ahead of is fairly dry, and everything ahead of it is totally dry.

Driver side is totally dry, but has one newer piece of hose in the same area as the leak on the passenger side.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'm thinking I might go with this for better winter living space in the desert, instead of a trailer. The floor is optional, so I can easily set up a shower in it, as well as a kitchen and general day use work area. No dealing with trying to get a cheap camper trailer with a title, paying to store it in the off season, etc. And I can store it in the van's attic and take it with me for summer use too. It's pretty easy for one person to set up in under one hour. In winter, it would get set up once and stay up for several months.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That's not a bad idea.

Other than hauling it in summer, yeah. It's 95lbs and would be a chore to store in the attic hatch, so I don't think I'd do that.

Maybe have a screen house or something else lighter for summer use.

I'll be keeping my cargo trailer stored still in the off season, since I do use a small generator to supplement solar, due to short and cloudy winter days. I also have my 3 ton floor jack and lots more useful things in there for working on the van and bug. And my cool little Honda scooter that costs nothing to keep.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70