Traveller Smurf (Cubey's '89 van)

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you are building out, aren’t you glad you went with an EB...?

Looking great! Hopefully the MH will sell soon!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Had a ton of rain so that prevented me from doing much. But it's finally gone yesterday.

Also I completely emptied the RV because someone acted super interested but then said no. Brought some stuff back in since I might as well be more comfortable for space while I can.

Yesterday I put up the countertop. Yes that framing is as crooked as it looks on the back side, I'm not good at carpentry and don't have the right saw and workspace for it. But it'll work. Fridge will go on the right side but will have to be moved out to open it. It's more of a spot when driving, I suppose. Not sure I'll keep the stove up there. The burner is not made right for smaller pans, they fall into the center. Someone gave it to me years ago and it was in the truck. I'll keep it for now since i bought a can of the fuel for it to test it.
You must be registered for see images attach

I bought a cheap collapsible ladder online because it's very useful when you have solar panels, for cleaning etc. Also the mounting of them in the first place. Fits nicely there and the strap goes through the door handle grip loop thing.

Got around to putting the spare vac pump on the RV and pulling off the lifetime warranty pump. For now, it's sitting under the passenger seat. No point swapping it on the van right now, I don't feel. I might before I leave here though. The reason being, I want a used good as the emergency spare, and the lifetime one in use full time.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I think the butane stove is gonna go. I bought this Jetboil knockoff recently that combines a big cooking pot with a stove. It has a regular stove burner adapter, but it's not very good for smaller diameter pots. I also have two other old stoves (on the left) that use the same fuel cans. The propane/butane cans are expensive but the jetboil setup is supposed to be extra efficient, so it should use less fuel. I can also get an adapter that would make 1lb propane cylinders work with it, which I might do in case I can't find the proper ones. The jetboil all nests together once cleaned and cooled, so it takes up less space. The pot on it is about twice the size of the usual one I use, so i can cook pasta or whatever in it. It's listed as 1.6L

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Cubey do you have enough solar and batteries to find an induction burner?

If so I’d run 2 of those if possible as most meals can be done on 2 butners

Then save your “fuel” based set-up as backup and for those days when it’s just so gorgeous outside you gotta be in it!!! Cooking of course :cheers:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Need gauges mounted better so I got this. Gonna need some interesting mounting done to look half decent, but it will aim three gauges well for visibility.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Pulled the kind of pointless B&M transmission gauge from the uncooled line on the RV.

Bought a 5/16" compression union and just replaced the compression tee with it. Super easy. I left the existing line nuts and compression bushings. Lost maybe half an ounce of ATF, not enough to even bother replacing.

Fired it up and checked for an ATF leak at the union while idling, none to be seen. So that should be good to go.

Also grabbed the glow plug cord while I was under there because "why not?". That's another $110 in parts recovered from the RV to use on the van.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Rain and colder weather slowed me down for a couple days. Barely felt like going outside today but I forced myself to at least do a little something.

Got the 5th solar panel mounted most of the way. Also mounted the rear camera, but haven't wired up the screen yet. Also trying to decide how to route the video cable.

The junkyard truck switch connector matches and works (light comes on when pressed), but I'll have to cut off one or both original mounting ears and hot glue it in place sideways.

For now I have the lights wired up with the cables visible, but i don't care. It works, so that's all that matters. I gotta put the cover on the bit going down still is all.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Errr.. well i don't have to worry about a transmission cooler. Someone plumbed up the A/C condenser as the transmission cooler. That was high pressure line.

Motorhome for comparison.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Well the trans should stay cool, you may overheat though. ;Poke

James

The A/C compressor is completely gone, so it's not like I wasn't aware that it didn't have AC. I drove in 90-100 degree heat out west last summer without AC in the motorhome and it was more or less ok. I did run the roof AC while stopped with the genset, but still. I'll be chasing cooler temps more often now with the van. Fans and lowered windows help a good bit.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I had a 1989 Nissan pickup for about three years. Before I got it, someone had decided to use the evaporator core for a heater core. It worked, but there was no turning down the temperature. It was either off or full blast heat all the time. That was one of the few things that I didn't like about it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I had a 1989 Nissan pickup for about three years. Before I got it, someone had decided to use the evaporator core for a heater core. It worked, but there was no turning down the temperature. It was either off or full blast heat all the time. That was one of the few things that I didn't like about it.

That's similar to how old air cooled VW heaters acted, because it was either blowing hot air or it wasn't. But also the amount of air flow depended on the engine rpms, because the engine fan is what blows the heat.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My dad used to have one. It was what he taught me to drive when I was 11. I remember riding with him for a ways in the winter time. My right foot got so hot that I had to keep it on top of my left foot and I still had to stick my right foot in the snow to cool it off after we stopped. I was still wearing my jacket and was chilly on top. I was NOT impressed at all.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My dad used to have one. It was what he taught me to drive when I was 11. I remember riding with him for a ways in the winter time. My right foot got so hot that I had to keep it on top of my left foot and I still had to stick my right foot in the snow to cool it off after we stopped. I was still wearing my jacket and was chilly on top. I was NOT impressed at all.

They have sliders so you can close the vent, but maybe it was missing or very stuck. It's literally a metal plate you move to cover and uncover the vent. Here's the driver side one on mine, open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel