Transmission sediment on magnet, How much is too much?

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a question, It doesnt pertain to my idi but I thought this would be the best place for an answer. Anyways I have a 95 GMC serria k1500 with the 4l60e and the transmission puked on me, I bought a used one for it but Upon pulling the pan I found about 3/16" of sediment on the magnet and there was a little in the bottom of the pan, and covering the filter and such, I wiped the pan clean but not the filter yet wich still has a small film of greyish black on it. what should I do, Run it and hope for the best>any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here are a couple pics of the filter, one of them i wiped the two center ribs to show the color differance

Attachments

• IM001041.JPG
    IM001041.JPG
    492.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IM001042.JPG
    IM001042.JPG
    520.6 KB · Views: 12

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It looks like someone didn't change the tran fluid at the correct times. The pictures are not clear enough for me to say if the trans will be ok. That amount of metal isn't much to be worried about either but the seemingly long drain or no drains has me concerned...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There will always be some sedement in an autobox, the clutches kind of dictate that , and depending on how fluid changes were done, would decide how much remained in the system( as in if they just drained the pan or if they flushed the whole thing when changing)Without knowing any of these variables, it's basically just another pig in a poke. Chances of finding another used box in any better shape is probably not very good. If you decide to put it in, flush it out, torque converter and all, make sure it's got all fresh fluid.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
It's a little muddy, but not really bad. "Run it and hope for the best". I would. Clean it up good put in some fresh fluid and go.:D