Transmission Questions

ColLonewolf

Reaction score
Looking at a 2006 F650 with a c-7 cat and an Eaton fuller 6 speed. Any chance this 6 speed would bolt to a 7.3L IDI? Thanks.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No the Cat uses a Big Rig transmission and the bell housing patterns are very different and larger. I can't remember which bell housing pattern it is. Something like SAE 1 or SAE 2...

Last edited:

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’d have to buy a custom adapter plate, they can be made but the cost will likely sway you away

ColLonewolf

Reaction score
What trans would you recommend? I have a Clark 5 speed at the moment from a 330 gaser. Do you think a standard ZF-5/ZF-6 would hold up in an F600? Thanks.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Sae2 interface is common in manual-trans medium duty trucks. I don't know if there's an adapter to marry up an IDI.... What trans/pattern did a medium-duty International run with an IDI?

A better engine for a F650 is probably a Cummins 8.3C or the Navistar DT466. Either one can fit a Fuller 6spd.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for a junk yard with an old Navistar school bus or any Navistar Medium duty truck with a T444 IDI in it (not the T444e - Powerstroke). It will have an adaptor that goes from the IDI bellhousing pattern to SAE2 used by the Eaton 6 spd, and replace the aluminum Ford IDI transmission adaptor.

It will look like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Medium duty idi's ran a flywheel housing in sae 2 pattern, that was typically adapted down to sae 3 in order to run an allison at545. With the right flywheel, clutch, and adapters you could run that fuller 6 speed no problem. In a medium duty truck, using the sae flywheel housing would be simple. Pickups I believe will have issues with floor pan interference if one tries to use the sae flywheel housing. I believe an f600 would be considered a medium duty truck.

Whether or not a zf5/6 would hold up depends on the weight you'll be pulling. If this is only going to be bobtailed to car shows it will be perfectly fine. But put 5th wheel trailer and a 45k lb excavator behind it and that zf won't last too long.

A lot of those gasser clark 5 speeds have an ford truck pattern bell and not the sae one. Some of them also didn't have the friendliest ratios. I'd suggest checking what you have and then if it doesn't look good, looking into something else. A 2 speed rear end of the correct ratios can be a help with this as well.

ColLonewolf

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advise. I have a 72 F600 with the 330V8/Clark 5/Two speed rear. Have a few IDIs, and would like to replace that gas engine with one. It has the industrial motor mounts so I might need the Clark adapter. Just trying to work this thing out. Most likely use her for some lite towing most of the time and pull my mother's 5th wheel trailer from time to time (20K).

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an option.

If not, @Jesus Freak should come get it
That's a bit stout for my needs. Thanks for keeping me in mind though, @Nero ! I do know where some school buses are with Allisons on Navistars. I wanted to do a 4speed Allison one time, but I couldn't come up with the correct adapter thingy, and then I scored the ZF5.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that just means you install it and forget about it, right?
That would be quite a haul to pick it up though.

James
It's multifaceted:
#1 it's too far
#2 it's more transmission than either of my trucks need
#3 $$$ is more than I can afford
#4 getting it would put me in close proximity to @Nero , and the historic Nero of the first century would set followers of Jesus on fire to light up Rome at night, and it might be best I don't take chances with the 21st century Nero. It might be why we stay on opposite corners of the US.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a bit stout for my needs. Thanks for keeping me in mind though, @Nero ! I do know where some school buses are with Allisons on Navistars. I wanted to do a 4speed Allison one time, but I couldn't come up with the correct adapter thingy, and then I scored the ZF5.
Probably came out of a 2 1 /2 ton truck, a 1600 model. Some of the larger U Hauls (Yall Haul in the south) were 1600`s and think they used the 6.9 engine.....but U Haul most likely used an auto trans.

I think the in put shaft bearing on my T-19 is starting to go, getting some gear whine, just bought a rebuild kit from Bronco Grave Yard.
Could swap this in instead....HMMM.
NAAA a lot of fab work probably, but a Corn Binder Trans behind a Corn Binder engine.

About 700 miles to where it is, and Nero could slap it in, in a day or so...

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86