Transmission Fluid Leaking

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Looks like you need a new radiator
I'm Running a Genesis all aluminum Raditator in my Suburban

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
Hard to tell but the transmission cooler may be leaking in the radiator. I'm not sure how to test that I'm guessing you'd have to pull the radiator and bring it into a radiator shop and have it tested. Is there an external transmission cooler? That could be leaking. If you don't have one you could add one and bypass the transmission cooler in the radiator. If that stops your leak you will know the culprit.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow the front line out of the trans to the radiator, should be a rubber hose going into the rad, disconnect that hose from the steel line, put about 15 - 20 lbs air pressure into the hose, if the coolant starts to bubble the internal coil is shot, if oil comes out that plug in your pic it's not repairable, just bypass the rad cooler and add an aux cooler if you haven't got one now.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Why would ATF be coming out of the radiator anyway? The trans oil cooler lines go directly into the oil cooler that is in front of the radiator.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Have you bypassed the trans cooler in the radiator?

Personally, no. All I know is that the trans cooler hose goes to the metal trans lines. I don't think anything is connected to the rad, but I'll look tomorrow.

Would I have to bypass even if I had an external cooler?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, no. All I know is that the trans cooler hose goes to the metal trans lines. I don't think anything is connected to the rad, but I'll look tomorrow.

Would I have to bypass even if I had an external cooler?
From the factory you have at least one line going into a heat exchanger built into the bottom radiator tank. If the truck doesn't have tow-package then the other line is also hooked up to it, basically fluid comes out the trans, runs thru the in-radiator cooler, and goes back into the trans. If truck has the tow package then the 2nd transmission cooling line doesn't hook up to the in-radiator cooler, instead there is an external cooler on the front of the radiator - you have a hose running between the in-radiator cooler and the external one, and then another hose running between the external cooler and the 2nd transmission cooling line. Is this how your coolers are set up?

If you only have the external cooler and the in-radiator one is completely bypassed then you should not have any leaks from the in-radiator one cause there's no fluid flowing thru it. Unless it was full of fluid this whole time from back when it was still in use, and for whatever reasons it is now leaking said fluid out - but they don't hold much fluid, so whatever was in there is by now out and on the ground...

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
From the factory you have at least one line going into a heat exchanger built into the bottom radiator tank. If the truck doesn't have tow-package then the other line is also hooked up to it, basically fluid comes out the trans, runs thru the in-radiator cooler, and goes back into the trans. If truck has the tow package then the 2nd transmission cooling line doesn't hook up to the in-radiator cooler, instead there is an external cooler on the front of the radiator - you have a hose running between the in-radiator cooler and the external one, and then another hose running between the external cooler and the 2nd transmission cooling line. Is this how your coolers are set up?

If you only have the external cooler and the in-radiator one is completely bypassed then you should not have any leaks from the in-radiator one cause there's no fluid flowing thru it. Unless it was full of fluid this whole time from back when it was still in use, and for whatever reasons it is now leaking said fluid out - but they don't hold much fluid, so whatever was in there is by now out and on the ground...

I didn't even think of that. It does have the tow package with the external cooler. So one line is the enter and the other is return on the external cooler. I'm gonna look at the lines tomorrow and see if you're right. Maybe it isn't fully bypassed.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Alright. So I got under the truck today and had a look at the lines, and sure enough, they do go into the radiator. So now I have to figure out how to bypass that, or get a new radiator. Hopefully the former.

Anyway, I took a some pictures and added descriptions, so please check those out - http://imgur.com/a/TH6gn

So, if you guys know how to bypass this or what I might need to do, please let me know.

Thanks a bunch everyone!

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Just to recap, which lines, if any, have you replaced?

The only line I have replaced is the line going from the trans to the cooler, which would be the top line of the external trans cooler featured in the pictures.