Transmission Fluid Leaking

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post, so bear with me.

Anyway, I bought my first diesel, which is the '86 F-250 6.9l. I'm not really experienced in cars, and especially diesels, so this is a learning experience for me.

I have notice a pretty good amount of transmission fluid is leaking from the engine, and onto the ground below as seen here.

Does anyone know what might be the cause?

I can provide more information as requested.

Thank you!

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
My advice is spray it down with some engine degreaser maybe try pressure wash it clean so you can get a better idea of what is leaking. I can't imagine the fluid leaking from the engine. It must be leaking from one of the cooler lines.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
I'm gonna see if I can grab a couple drops of the fluid tomorrow.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a C6?
If so a Trans Cooler line could be leaking.
Ding ding, we have a winner!

The hose for the transmission cooler would be my #1 suspect - they will get hard with age and heat and stop sealing properly and no amount of tightening the clamps will make them stop dripping. If there are no rubber hoses and instead everything is all-steel lines, then it could be the fittings are leaking, or the lines have rubbed together till one (or both) developed a pinhole leak. But in that picture it looks like the whole bottom of the radiator support is soaked, and has been for a very long time, so I'm gonna go with a leak related to the transmission cooler somehow.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score

The hose for the transmission cooler would be my #1 suspect - they will get hard with age and heat and stop sealing properly and no amount of tightening the clamps will make them stop dripping. If there are no rubber hoses and instead everything is all-steel lines, then it could be the fittings are leaking, or the lines have rubbed together till one (or both) developed a pinhole leak. But in that picture it looks like the whole bottom of the radiator support is soaked, and has been for a very long time, so I'm gonna go with a leak related to the transmission cooler somehow.

Good call. I'm gonna look into that tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys!

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score

Yep it did this on a Friends Truck and mine.

Not too hard to Fix.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Unless it's the cooler itself leaking! Then it's gonna be painful, for the family budget mostly. But still a very-DIY fix, just not as cheap as just hoses.

Thankfully I haven't had to do the cooler yet. But I'm thinking about going with a Bigger set up for towing.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Unless it's the cooler itself leaking! Then it's gonna be painful, for the family budget mostly. But still a very-DIY fix, just not as cheap as just hoses.

Considering the fluid is spread out, lets just hope it's the hose, haha.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Man your trucks exactly like mine same trim package and Trans.
Pretty cool. Glad to see I'm not the only one with a C6. LOL