Transmission Fluid Leaking

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you think you need to replace the whole line? Did rust ate it, or did it rub thru on something (like the other line for instance)?

They really aren't anything special, just 5/16" steel line most likely double-flared on each end. You can buy pre-flared line at the parts store in lengths of up to 5ft (they come with the nuts already installed obviously), that should be enough to reach all the way over to the left side of the radiator. You just have to bend it nicely so it clears everything, but that's really not hard at all.

Post a picture of what you're working with anyways, kinda hard to give useful advice about something without seeing it first...

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Why do you think you need to replace the whole line? Did rust ate it, or did it rub thru on something (like the other line for instance)?

They really aren't anything special, just 5/16" steel line most likely double-flared on each end. You can buy pre-flared line at the parts store in lengths of up to 5ft (they come with the nuts already installed obviously), that should be enough to reach all the way over to the left side of the radiator. You just have to bend it nicely so it clears everything, but that's really not hard at all.

Post a picture of what you're working with anyways, kinda hard to give useful advice about something without seeing it first...
This X2

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Alright. Here's some pictures.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lines look caked in old fluid.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just replace with metal lines.
I wouldn't. Those lines are attached to the engine, the engine vibrates something fierce, guess where them all-metal lines will transfer said vibrations?

Transmission Oil Cooler hose is what you wanna use there, it will say "TOC" on the hose itself too. I actually like using that stuff for fuel lines also, on diesels at least - if it holds up to overheated transmission fluid it will hold up to pretty much any homebrew soup that may find its way into the fuel tanks :D

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know that "homebrew" gets in other trucks too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Alright, so to bump this thread, I still need a little help.

I replaced the cooler lines, which helped the leaking a bit. The old hoses were coated in crap and dry rotted and cracked everywhere, so that was needed.

However, after taking the truck for a drive, I noticed that there was still fluid leaking, and I could clearly see where it was coming from.

[SEE IMAGES HERE: http://i.imgur.com/1OWOV37.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/s3BxIwS.jpg]

Anyway, those three holes in the picture are three holes at the bottom of the radiator, and ATF was dripping out of them. The middle one had the most fluid coming out of it.

The fluid wasn't pouring, but dripping. It's a decent amount though.

Any more help or suggestions?

Thanks everyone!