Transmission Filter and Gasket

runkeeg26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello i a going to be changing out the transmission filter and gasket out tomorrow on base. The thing wont stop leaking. I was wondering if there are any tricks to make sure it doesn't leak? A little RTV? ATF on gasket before putting it on? I am open to anything. I will also be doing the valve covers. Any tricks to that? Do I have to take anything major off to do this job? I am also missing a bolt or two on the transmission cover. Anyone remember the size of the bolts and length? And last question. If i just take off transmission cover and redo the filter how many quart of ATF am I looking to be adding back. Thanks for all your help. I have a 1994 F-350 IDI RWD E4OD Factory Turbo

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
The kits always say not to use RTV. I always do anyway, because I've never had one not leak without it. I just do a thin coating on both sides of the gasket. Clean/dry the pan and the transmission surface really well, then once I've gotten the bolts finger tightened, then I torque them down starting at one corner moving evenly across to the opposite corner. That's always worked for me.

As for how much fluid, Dunno with the E4OD. As much as it takes?
(prolly about 4-6 quarts I would think) DO NOT OVERFILL IT!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the bolts are 1/4" x 1/2" but they may be metric. Best to take one with you, most all ACE hardware has bolts of all kinds. You can empty the tranny pan by pumping it out into a 5 gallon bucket. Take the rear line off and fix a hose to it into the bucket, run the engine until it stops pumping, pour in 4 Qts. of fresh ATF, run again and shift thru all gears for a few seconds in each gear, stop when empty. This will flush all clutches, torque converter and aux cooler if you have one. There will still be a couple of Qts. left in the pan. Have someone hold the hose in the bucket or fasten it. DO NOT speed engine up, only in idle. DO it that way since your pulling the pan for leaks.

Edit: Make sure the pan and tranny rail is dry/clean before replacing the gasket. Some filters come with a new gasket, most can be used over again. A 4x4 takes the deep filter.

Here is the way to do it if not pulling the pan. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?29296-Flushing-a-E4OD-or-4R100

Last edited:

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Use the factory style molded rubber gasket dry with no sealers. Take a ball peen hammer and peen all the bolt holes on the transmission side of the pan to correct any over tightening of the pan and torque the pan bolts to 10 foot pounds of torque. Use the factory style 8mm x 1.25 pan bolts if you need to replace any of them. Make sure the machined pan rail of the transmission case is smoooth with no gouges or raised up spots before putting the pan back on. You can run a file over the bottom of the case to make sure it is smooth.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
94 may not have the reusable gasket, if the gasket is reusable, it will say so on the pan, rusable gasket will not work on a non reuable pan
bolts are 8 x 1.25, but is is highly likely that the trans is stripped and will need helicoiled

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yup I've stripped some. Just be careful and you will be fine. And I have never needed gasket sealer RTV with the rubber gasket that always came with the filter "kit" I drained pan and converter to get most of the old fluid out and fill er up with Valvoling Max Life synthetic, I love the stuff