transfer cases

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my buddy's transfer case is starting to show its age wear and noise wise...over 256k on her. He wants to start shopping around for one and we came to the question if there's any difference between gasser and diesel transfer cases for compatibility. We looked at his and its a borg 1356 47 case manual shift. He has a 1990 f250 rglb 4x4 with a 7.3 idi E4OD...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a significant difference in cases, only from Bronco to F150/250 then F350

Now I'm just going with good old manual ones here not electric versions

Bronco has a FIXED rear yoke... fits all

F 1/250 fits all has a slip rear yoke... fits all

F 350 has a PTO output and has a slip rear yoke... fits all

As far as I know they all fit one another, no differences internally though not 100 percent on the NO internal differences...

EDIT

I will add that FORD in their infinite wisdom, used ONE Tcase bolt pattern and spline count for many many years. 6 bolt round 31spline for all tcases.

One caveat is IIRC the NP 205 had a NOTCH on the transmissions mounting face to transfer case to allow shifter linkage to pass, not sure on the NP 203 I will KNOW soon enough when I get my 203 for my doubler!

This means, in theory (shifter linkages not withstanding) just about any FORD tcase, part time full time, chain drive aluminum or cast iron, will bolt to any FORD trans auto or standard.

Our trucks 80-94 came with three different tcases IIRC Im not getting into electric /manual differences

Manual tcases
NP 208 Aluminum and chain drive
BW 1345 Aluminum and chain drive
BW 1356 Aluminum and chain drive

It was when the PS came in that the spline count changed IIRC so lets NOT go there!

Hope this helps

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Al said, not going to matter if a 460 or IDI was infront of that T-case. If it is a 1356, it'll work.

I'm running a 1356 from a '91 F350 that had a 460 in it on my F250. Have been for years. Just bolts on without a problem.

Heath

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. I wouldnt understand why the ratios would be different of the cases from gasser to diesel along with the load ratings. Well its happy hunting for my buddy then. I'm sure hes found one by now, now that I told him this great info this morning. Thanks again for all your help guys!! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online