Trans Topic

navistar45

Reaction score
good idea mark! however for a minute i thought you might have found some new info i could use. iam looking for some kind of od setup for a 5.9 cummins allison auto combo{something like a gear vendors] unit,no luck yet...

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for thinkin of me, Mark and thanks for starting the topic. :)

There's too many "boxes" under my truck as it is. I have a huge transfer case & transmission with driveshafts all over the place, so I don't want to make it worse. LOL

I've narrowed my choices down to 2...(for now LOL )

1) Spicer 6+1 ES066 7B (less expensive, less gears-7, less reliable)
2) RT0 6613 RoadRanger (more expensive, more gears-13, better tranny)

They're the only 2 I can afford. I can't afford an 8LL with O/D which is the best unit for my truck.

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
It looks like your getting 1 more shaft $$$ ;) LOL I would really like to have an auto in my truck. Isn't there a boneyard where you could get one cheap? It seems like we are always trying to balance what we can live with and what we can afford on these trucks. We get started down the road of modiing and there is no turning back LOL . Since our trucks relate to our work we can justify most expenses as upgrades or prevenative:Sly . Bottom line is our trucks work great for the work they were designed, we just want them to do it better :D

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Markinter said:
"It looks like your getting 1 more shaft $$$ ;) LOL I would really like to have an auto in my truck."

Do it. The rebuilt allisons aren't that bad. I think the automatics take one of the fun parts out of driving a big truck (shifting) though. If I might be so bold to say, you oughta put a 2 speed rear in yours. I bet you'd love it. :thumbsup:

" Isn't there a boneyard where you could get one cheap?"

Yes, but then reliability becomes a questions. In commercial duty transmissions, you have no idea how reliable it will be. A used tranny (in unknown condition) would sell for ~$1,000. A reman unit will sell for ~$2,500. I must have some peace of mind, so I'm going to pay an extra $1,500 for a reman unit. :draw

" It seems like we are always trying to balance what we can live with and what we can afford on these trucks. We get started down the road of modiing and there is no turning back LOL . Since our trucks relate to our work we can justify most expenses as upgrades or prevenative:Sly . Bottom line is our trucks work great for the work they were designed, we just want them to do it better :D"

I agree. I knew when I bought the truck that the trans was barely adequate. Most of the seals are leaking and I know I want more from my trans. I feel lucky that at least it runs & shifts fine and I have plenty of time to make an informed decision. ;Sweet

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I remember when my tranny was rebuilt here in town(authorized allison repair place), it cost just over $3600 4 years ago. Mine would be cool in a 4X4 beacause of the super low 1st gear(mt653). I'd still like a manual with a diesel, but dumping a clutch with a guy in the bucket just isn't good.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to rebuild the allison in my F-700. Back in 1991 it was $3,000!!! :(

navistar45

Reaction score
Markinter said:
It looks like your getting 1 more shaft $$$ ;) LOL I would really like to have an auto in my truck. Isn't there a boneyard where you could get one cheap? It seems like we are always trying to balance what we can live with and what we can afford on these trucks. We get started down the road of modiing and there is no turning back LOL . Since our trucks relate to our work we can justify most expenses as upgrades or prevenative:Sly . Bottom line is our trucks work great for the work they were designed, we just want them to do it better :D
mark,i tried thumbing thru some year old info from u.s gear,they didnt have anything for a allison. if you are not in a hurry to do a tranny swap,and i cant find a od unit for my ally,it will be up for sale,reasonable to someone i know,going rate to anyone off the street. i intend on installing the cummins allison combo into a 96 one ton gmc.but like i said if i cant find a od unit,i will use the nv4500 tranny thats in the truck already. the allison unit is a 4sp 545,great shape,however a high hp 466 would likely be to ******* it....

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer navistar45. I'm thinking after I get the water/**** installed my tq will be around 700/800 range. How hard is it to swap an auto for a 6spd?

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
Duke

I agree you need the peace of mind and since finding a trans and then having it rebuilt is more than buying the reman unit.

navistar45

Reaction score
not sure mark,need the fly wheel,likely alter the drive shaft,bell housing,not quite sure what youd do about the speedo hook up,sure theres something.floor shifter for the auto would be easy to find,sure theres something iam forgetting. id think it woul be easier to go from a manual to a auto,than vise versa.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark,

You could get the dash shifter or even the push button selector. NeverenufHP would know a lot more about the autos since he has one.

If you went with a dash mount, you could just cover the floor opening with a piece of sheetmetal and put a nice new floormat on top. You'd gain so much interior space which i guess would be real useful in a camper-set up like yours.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Right, the shifter depends on the tranny. We have just about every type of med duty Allison here at work. Mine is the old timer, it mounts on a bracket and uses a cable to shift. The next newest one (can't remember the model) is a 6 speed with the same setup, but different shifter. Then the one on the 2000 FL70 has the keypad electronic control. I can take some pictures of them if it helps.

If you want to go to an auto from manual, check out the availability of a Voith retarder. I just turned 103k miles in my work truck and still have the factory brake shoes!

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
I think the best thing for me to do is drive to your shop in the middle of the night :Sly and swap trannies LOL . When I think back to when I had my 99.5 Powerstroke crewcab lariet as my work truck, it was almost too easy to drive on the long trips. Last year I took my truck to Mex to help build a house and the border crossing traffic killed my leg. I sometimes float the gears but I read on another forum that it isn't a good idea with the spicers. I could see if someone was forcing things at the wrong rpms, has anyone heard this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online