Trans Topic

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More news on the swap:

True to ALL big truck repair facilities, they have had my truck for 3 days and done basically nothing. LOL

They have however pretty much ruled out a big truck trans and pretty much limited me to an RTO6613. I'm "OK" with that, but not real happy. They seem like they're afraid to shoehorn the big box in there with my front driveshaft and exhaust system being so close.

Now they have to see if they can get the correct PTO for my truck so it'll dump fast enough and get me the ratios on the 6613 to make sure they match up well with my engine & rears.

I actually went & priced a new 4x4 with all the bells & whistles. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I'm thinking about it, but I think I might lose my rear end on my current IH in depreciation re-capture.

You wouldn't believe how little differece there is in cost between a full-size IH 4x4 with airbrakes, loaded cab and tons of power compared to a GMC 5500 4x4.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt about it. I love it and worked hard to make enough money to buy it.

A buddy of mine just bought a 7400 series tandem with a tree spade and super singles all around. Stunning truck. I drove it and couldn't believe what a 300/840 DT feels like.
I drove it around a tree farm and couldn't believe how it handled foot thick mud and rolling ground with flotation tires & locking rears. I got hooked right there. It's tough to describe, but I got bit by the new truck bug real bad.

Last edited:

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I would keep the old truck for a little while longer you may need to go bigger sooner or later and go with a tandem axle. A tandem axle with diff locks in the both drive axles will go anywhere plus you can pack 15 ton legally and 12 yards of material.

You get a International 7600 or 7600 run a shorter box 14-15' on it for the better turning radius.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to ask him what the GVW was on his. He's running supersingles on the back & front axles and I wonder how much that limits his GVW?

Prolly in the mid 40's, I'd guess.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
With the single wide drive tires I think he is pretty much maxed out at 18,000lbs per drive axle and 18,000lbs on the front so he is running a light tandem at 54000lbs more or less. A standard vocational spec tandem has a gvw of 66,000lbs.

He is running the wide single drives for working in conditions where the truck needs to float and less ground damage. Tandem axle duals with tear the crap out of someones manicured lawn so if the truck is a tree spade he is working on finished areas like a public park.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found out it's 63,000! I was surprised. He said the rears are 48,000 and the front is 15,000. Each 445 single tire can handle 12,000 lbs!

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BAD NEWS!

13 Speed RTO6613 is OUT. The shop foreman said the owner doesn't want to try to do it within the budget he promised me. He said it'll take too long for the price promised.

Brought it back to the jobsite today. Taking it to another shop to get the 7 speed :cry: .......... I hope (sigh). :frustrate

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my truck out of the first shop. I could tell they were "scared" to do the job for some reason. That was on the 7th. I dropped it off at another shop on the 9th. They immediately pulled the old trans. They sold me on the 7 speed. Now the trans is in and they're building a shorter driveshaft. I also had to get a whole new PTO. :idiot:

They're having trouble because the new tower doesn't come through the floor in the same place. Getting the new shift lever set-up so it doesn't hit anything is the next challenge.

It's been a rough ride. I'll be glad when it's over. Much more difficult than anticipated. I really can't see why. IH sold 10's of thousands of 2WD versions of my truck with the 7 speed. ;Pissed

It's like reinventing the wheel over here. :frustrate

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update:

7 Speed trans is in. Driveshaft is being built.

Transfer case has a wobbly input shaft:( they're pulling it out now.

Looks like I'm gonna take a little hit on the T-case. -cuss

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It ain't the time I'm worried about, it's the greenbacks!!!

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
As long as you keep on working, the $ replenishes. It's only money....You only live once. Does that help?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online